What do I need to make my PC run a AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series?

Magicant13

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Hi,

I built my PC from obsolete parts of my brother's old PC, I'm not very tech savvy and the only part I can't seem to get working is his old graphics card, the AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380, so I'm using an old AMD card I found.

I'm not looking for a high end PC, I'm just looking for something that is low budget and can play games, such as Fortnite, on medium or even low with a smooth framerate. My specs are as follows:

CPU
AMD A8-5600K
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard
ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M (CPUSocket)
Graphics
ASUS VH222 (1920x1080@60Hz)
512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7560D (ASRock)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6450 (ATI AIB)
CrossFire Disabled

Apologies I don't knwo the exact name/brand of my PSU.

Any advice for a cheap upgrade?

Thanks

Louise Porkolt

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
Hi there,
you need to install the drivers of that card !

goto the ATI-site and goto support or driver download, select driver of the card and install it !

reboots are necessary !

Let us know if it's solved !

cheers, Louise ...

No thoughts as to whether assessing that the PSU is good enough?

chrom

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017

shaw evo-775max gaming psu

chrom

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017

shaw evo-775max gaming psu

DSzymborski

Titan
Here's the spec label from that PSU.

shaw-evo-775max-gaming-psu.jpg

That's 17 A on the +12V rail, so we're talking about something that's about a 200W PSU. Even if this were a wonderfully designed 200W PSU, an R9 380 at load can use nearly 200W by itself. I don't think I've ever encountered a non-name PSU configured like this that wasn't hot garbage.

It's probably a good thing that the original poster couldn't get this GPU working long enough to be trying to run it at load in this PC as they might be looking for a lot more parts now than previously.

OP, you need a PSU upgrade to even start thinking about this.

DSzymborski

Titan

At least they only went for the half-misleading by putting a number in the model. A laugh and then cry when I see one of those fly-by-nights that will put a number and then W the letter in the name to trick people into thinking it stands for watts.