[SOLVED] What do I need to run RGB fans?

Oct 14, 2020
Hi everyone

I need help on choosing what to purchase. I am upgrading my pc and with that comes a new case and I want RGB fans in. It is the first time I am putting RGB fans in and I am a complete RGB noob.

First of I have 2 options on what I want to choose for cases since both of them comes with RGB fans included. It is between the Antec NX240 and Evetech TRIO (I want to put in 2 Coolermaster MasterFan MF140R into the TRIO to complete it and I know that 8 fans is a bit much).

I currently have a Asus Prime B450M-K motherboard and it doesn't have a RGB header and from what it looks like, only one head for fans. What will I need to run the RGB lights and control it?

I also thought about upgrading my motherboard to the Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming and use aura sync, but I still don't know what accessories to buy to connect all the fans. If I do end up taking this motherboard I want all the fans to be on one RGB header if possible so that I can use LED strips on the other header in the future.

Reactions: Vxinity
Solution
I recommend buying the NX240 since both the MF140R and the NX240's already pre-installed fans are Addressable RGBs and not just normal RGBs. For the accessory, getting an aRGB (Addressable RGB) hub and another PWM fan hub (for your fans, of course to reduce the time it takes to build your PC) OR a mixture of them both, a PWM and aRGB hub. You can control the hub using a remote (if it has one), buttons on the hub itself, or the Aurasync (Asus exclusive feature). Lastly, I strongly recommend the idea of upgrading to the Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard since your current B450M-K motherboard doesn't have any RGB and more importantly, aRGB headers, which you will need if you want your fans to light up with your desired colors.
Oct 14, 2020
I recommend buying the NX240 since both the MF140R and the NX240's already pre-installed fans are Addressable RGBs and not just normal RGBs. For the accessory, getting an aRGB (Addressable RGB) hub and another PWM fan hub (for your fans, of course to reduce the time it takes to build your PC) OR a mixture of them both, a PWM and aRGB hub. You can control the hub using a remote (if it has one), buttons on the hub itself, or the Aurasync (Asus exclusive feature). Lastly, I strongly recommend the idea of upgrading to the Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard since your current B450M-K motherboard doesn't have any RGB and more importantly, aRGB headers, which you will need if you want your fans to light up with your desired colors.

Reactions: Shadowmage96
Solution
Oct 14, 2020
Thanks so much I appreciate it. Just some follow up questions.

What is the function of the PWM Hub?

Also this might sound dumb but if the 3 pin is 5V and 4 pin 12V, wouldn't that blow the fans because of too much voltage or will it be because it wont make contact with that 4th pin will the voltage be reduced?

Oct 14, 2020
Thanks so much I appreciate it. Just some follow up questions.

What is the function of the PWM Hub?

Also this might sound dumb but if the 3 pin is 5V and 4 pin 12V, wouldn't that blow the fans because of too much voltage or will it be because it wont make contact with that 4th pin will the voltage be reduced?

First things firsts, English isn't my mother tounge so I might mess up some explanations here. Hope you understand :)
1. PWM fan hubs acts as a hub to connect all your case fans instead of using a fan splitter.
Fan hubs are primarily used when:
  • Your motherboard doesn't have enough fan headers for your case fans
  • To reduce cable management and keep things nice and tidy

2. A -> PWM <- hub is not only a means to reduce cable management and an alternative for a fan splitter, but is also a device used to control the fan speeds of each, individual fan connected into the PWM fan hub too.

3. No, it won't blow up, lol.

Hope this helps. Back to finishing my school projects. :)