[SOLVED] What do I need

Jul 23, 2021
Hello just joined today. Found this on the internet and hoping you can help. I have just switched over from DSL (Consolidated) to Cable (Armstrong). DSL came in through my office where I had modem, wireless router and desktop computer. My desk top was plugged directly into the router and everything else in the house was wireless.

Switching over to Cable, they had to come in from the other side of the house. I now find myself with no connection to desktop. Currently I have everything in the house running except the desktop. What could/should I use to get wireless connection. Direct wire to router is out of the question.

I made a picture so you can see what I need in case I am saying something incorrectly. Right now 2,3 and 4 are running wireless off router, 5 is connecter through ethernet from router. What I need is to get number 1 connected wirelessly. If you have more than just a name to share (like a specific item) armstrong is 300Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload. I stream alot as I am retired, so I need something that can keep up with the stream. See picture below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QdW1aL459hysRk_wdZ1gcS5skmiJKr7g/view?usp=sharing

Thank you in advance

Solution
It is more a way to describe the cable you do not have run tv over it.

The problem is many people do not know what the word "coax" means so it is easier to add TV to it. The problem is then we have people that think they need to subscribe to a tv package.

Many houses even those that are more than 30yrs old have this type of wire run to many rooms. It was not even used for cable tv it was used to connect to a antenna on the roof.

In any case you either have this wire or you do not which determine if moca is option.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello just joined today. Found this on the internet and hoping you can help. I have just switched over from DSL (Consolidated) to Cable (Armstrong). DSL came in through my office where I had modem, wireless router and desktop computer. My desk top was plugged directly into the router and everything else in the house was wireless.

Switching over to Cable, they had to come in from the other side of the house. I now find myself with no connection to desktop. Currently I have everything in the house running except the desktop. What could/should I use to get wireless connection. Direct wire to router is out of the question.

I made a picture so you can see what I need in case I am saying something incorrectly. Right now 2,3 and 4 are running wireless off router, 5 is connecter through ethernet from router. What I need is to get number 1 connected wirelessly. If you have more than just a name to share (like a specific item) armstrong is 300Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload. I stream alot as I am retired, so I need something that can keep up with the stream. See picture below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QdW1aL459hysRk_wdZ1gcS5skmiJKr7g/view?usp=sharing

Thank you in advance
Powerline networking could allow you to have a wired connection. Get the AV2 rated units.

Jul 23, 2021
Okay, so I did some reading. I am looking at the
TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter
(2 Gigabit Ports, Ethernet Over Power, Plug&Play, Power Saving, 2x2 MIMO, Noise Filtering, Extra Power Socket for other Devices, Ideal for Gaming (TL-PA9020P KIT)

Got a little dizzy reading all the SAME circuit threads and articles. Seems bottom line is to buy and find out if it works.

I do have a follow up question for powerline network. I see these kits come with 2 pieces. One for the router end and on for the desktop end. My questions are, if there are 2 ports at the desktop end does that mean I could plug in two items? And as a follow up, if I wanted to expand to the upstairs, can I just buy the receiving peice and add to the current setup, or do they all have to come as a set.

I am learning this stuff pretty fast, thanks to you. Thanks

You can buy more single units. I forget the limit is something like 6 or 8 but they all share the total bandwidth. Even though in theory these devices are suppose to be compatible between manufactures I would buy the same models.

You can just hook a small switch to the powerline unit if it does not have enough ports.

Not to side track this but do you have coax tv cable in the rooms. You might consider MoCA. Then again if you did have the coax I suspect you would just move the router. MoCA is a little more expensive but is much faster, many units can actaully get full gigabit speeds.

Jul 23, 2021
You can buy more single units. I forget the limit is something like 6 or 8 but they all share the total bandwidth. Even though in theory these devices are suppose to be compatible between manufactures I would buy the same models.

You can just hook a small switch to the powerline unit if it does not have enough ports.

Not to side track this but do you have coax tv cable in the rooms. You might consider MoCA. Then again if you did have the coax I suspect you would just move the router. MoCA is a little more expensive but is much faster, many units can actaully get full gigabit speeds.

We do not have TV, just internet. Cable attaches to modem, then ethernet to router.

It is more a way to describe the cable you do not have run tv over it.

The problem is many people do not know what the word "coax" means so it is easier to add TV to it. The problem is then we have people that think they need to subscribe to a tv package.

Many houses even those that are more than 30yrs old have this type of wire run to many rooms. It was not even used for cable tv it was used to connect to a antenna on the roof.

In any case you either have this wire or you do not which determine if moca is option.

Solution
Jul 23, 2021
Thanks guys. I picked up the TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter and everything is running great. Getting DL speeds of Between 145 and 110 with great test results from DSLReports. Way more than enough for my needs.

Also, for anyone that might be wondering, This was a 10 minute setup and my two Powerlink's are not on the same circuit, but they are all joined by the same breaker box.

Thanks again