[SOLVED] What do I upgrade first? CPU or GPU?

Oct 24, 2020
I have an i5-6600 non k and a 1060 6gb,
I play games like CS:GO, GTA V, Minecraft, Rocket league, Some Simulation (ATS,ETS2,FS2020)
my plans were to upgrade to a ryzen 5 5600x when it comes out or a 3070 when it comes out. But I dont have enough money to buy both so I dont know what would get me a better upgrade. Any ideas?

Solution
Upgrading your CPU should probably come first. A 4 core / 4 thread CPU isn't considered enough for most modern games anymore, and it is definitely bottlenecking you significantly when it comes to playing a game as CPU intensive as MSFS. MSFS is CPU limited at times even for people with 8 core / 16 thread CPUs.

Upgrading your GPU first will result in disappointing performance on most of your games. Your GPU can't render frames until your CPU has pre-rendered certain data in a frame and passed it onto the GPU. If your CPU is too slow, your GPU will also be slow.

RRichards

Reputable
Jul 2, 2017
I'd go for the 3070 first. There will likely be stock issues just as with the 3080, so if you have the opportunity to buy one on launch and you're sure that's what you want, I'd say go for it. As with anything there will be a bit of demand for the CPUs on launch but they'll probably be much easier to get than RTX 30s. Overall you will end up having to buy both in order to take advantage of either of them, but for now I'd go with the 3070.

Reactions: derwouldd
Upgrading your CPU should probably come first. A 4 core / 4 thread CPU isn't considered enough for most modern games anymore, and it is definitely bottlenecking you significantly when it comes to playing a game as CPU intensive as MSFS. MSFS is CPU limited at times even for people with 8 core / 16 thread CPUs.

Upgrading your GPU first will result in disappointing performance on most of your games. Your GPU can't render frames until your CPU has pre-rendered certain data in a frame and passed it onto the GPU. If your CPU is too slow, your GPU will also be slow.

Solution
Oct 24, 2020

I'm getting opposed replies here, but I'm thinking about the CPU first option, since I've been on Skylake ever since it came out, and also me having a terrible motherboard, I think that the CPU would be the best option here. as my FPS isn't tooo terrible at 1440p and the CPU would give me a little uplift, while at the same time "future proofing" me it would be the best idea, I just needed a little reassurance on my decision. I agree that 4c/4t is behind and I can always upgrade to a 3070 later down the line or maybe even the 3060ti if the rumors are true, I appreciate the reply!

Last edited:
I'm getting opposed replies here, but I'm thinking about the CPU first option, since I've been on Skylake ever since it came out, and also me having a <Mod Edit> motherboard, I think that the CPU would be the best option here. as my FPS isn't tooo terrible at 1440p and the CPU would give me a little uplift, while at the same time "future proofing" me it would be the best idea, I just needed a little reassurance on my decision. I agree that 4c/4t is behind and I can always upgrade to a 3070 later down the line or maybe even the 3060ti if the rumors are true, I appreciate the reply!

Sounds like a good plan. Once your CPU and motherboard are upgraded, you have a clear upgrade path to a RTX 3000 series GPU down the road when prices and inventory have finally stabilized.