[SOLVED] What do I upgrade?

pc12312345123

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
So I've been pretty contempt with my PC and it carries out all of the functions it needs to as a budget gaming pc. My build consists of:
GPU: 1050ti 4gb
CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
Motherboard: AB350 Pro4
Ram: 2x4GB ddr4 2400mhz
PSU: Huntkey GS 600W
Storage: 1TB HDD

As of recent, I've been thinking of upgrading and I would like some advice as to what to upgrade. I've been playing cod Warzone quite a lot recently with my mates but the game crashes after a few games because according to "can you run it" (the website) my CPU isn't good enough to run the game and for that reason I want to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 1600, is this a good idea? if not what else should I look to try and upgrade?

Cheers

Solution
I think you have a relatively well balanced pc.
Your cpu is quite decent.
It has 4 cores and a passmark rating of 6299/1893
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+3+1200&id=3029

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

But, you really need to find out the cause of failures.
Possibly there is a bios update for the motherboard that addresses stability.

With a $200 budget, one of the most satisfying performance upgrades would be to convert to a ssd.
For $110, you can buy a 1tb samsung 860 QVO ssd.
Run the samsung ssd...

WildCard999

Titan
RAM should be upgraded, 2400mhz is too slow for Ryzen so if you get a 2x8gb kit to replace the current one get at 3000 or 3200mhz.

As for the crashes is there a error that pops up? For it to perform fine and then crash after a few matches seems a bit odd to me. What are the CPU/GPU temps while gaming?

If you do get a CPU upgrade I would try to get the 1600 AF as it performs close to the Ryzen 2600 for a bit cheaper. You may need to update the BIOS.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/#CPU

logainofhades

Titan
First and foremost, get rid of that low quality power supply, before it dies, and takes your system with it. A ryzen 5 1600AF would be a great CPU choice, on a budget. Your ram is really too slow, for a Ryzen build, also. It ideally should be 3000 or 3200 speeds, for 1st gen ryzen. An SSD would be a good idea, for much faster load times.

I think you mean content with your rig not contempt:)

You need to find out why you crash first,
If you can run a few games before failure, it is not because you have an under powered processor.
Perhaps you have a heat issue which can build up over time.
What is the make/model of your case?
Does it provide adequate airflow for your cooler?
Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards to see if that helps.

What are your temperatures?
I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Run HWmonitor which will tell you the current.minimum and max temperatures.
Run the cpu-Z stress test and see what you get.

While 600w is plenty, a cheap psu can be the cause of strange problems.
See if you can test with a known good psu of at least 450w.

pc12312345123

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
RAM should be upgraded, 2400mhz is too slow for Ryzen so if you get a 2x8gb kit to replace the current one get at 3000 or 3200mhz.

As for the crashes is there a error that pops up? For it to perform fine and then crash after a few matches seems a bit odd to me. What are the CPU/GPU temps while gaming?

If you do get a CPU upgrade I would try to get the 1600 AF as it performs close to the Ryzen 2600 for a bit cheaper. You may need to update the BIOS.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/#CPU

Alright, thanks for the suggestion, is there much of a difference between ram from 3000mhz to 3200?

My CPU and GPU temps are around 39 degrees max and 62 degrees max respectively

pc12312345123

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
First and foremost, get rid of that low quality power supply, before it dies, and takes your system with it. A ryzen 5 1600AF would be a great CPU choice, on a budget. Your ram is really too slow, for a Ryzen build, also. It ideally should be 3000 or 3200 speeds, for 1st gen ryzen. An SSD would be a good idea, for much faster load times.

Is my PSU really low quality? I had no idea. If that's the case should I then look to upgrade that first?

pc12312345123

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
I think you mean content with your rig not contempt:)

You need to find out why you crash first,
If you can run a few games before failure, it is not because you have an under powered processor.
Perhaps you have a heat issue which can build up over time.
What is the make/model of your case?
Does it provide adequate airflow for your cooler?
Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards to see if that helps.

What are your temperatures?
I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Run HWmonitor which will tell you the current.minimum and max temperatures.
Run the cpu-Z stress test and see what you get.

While 600w is plenty, a cheap psu can be the cause of strange problems.
See if you can test with a known good psu of at least 450w.

I was looking at HWmonitor and my min and max temp for CPU was around 35-39 degrees. Is that normal? I've yet to run the cpu-Z stress test

I think you have a relatively well balanced pc.
Your cpu is quite decent.
It has 4 cores and a passmark rating of 6299/1893
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+3+1200&id=3029

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

But, you really need to find out the cause of failures.
Possibly there is a bios update for the motherboard that addresses stability.

With a $200 budget, one of the most satisfying performance upgrades would be to convert to a ssd.
For $110, you can buy a 1tb samsung 860 QVO ssd.
Run the samsung ssd migration app to move your C drive to the ssd.

Solution