Question What do these error mean in Memtest x86?

jack.h.tierney

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
So anytime I am playing a game my PC has been randomly crashing to desktop. This only happens in game, not when I am doing anything else so I had assumed it was my GPU that was the problem. So I put that GPU in another machine and now I am not getting any crashes. So then I did a CPU diagnostic check which came back with no errors. So then I used the software memtest x86 to see if there was problem with my ram. That came back with many errors (Please view the image linked below)

I am not really sure how to read the errors, but was wondering. Does this mean my ram stick is the issue that has beemn causing my crashes? Please lemme know, thanks!

View: https://imgur.com/pjXlnCi

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What they mean ultimately isn't important, the important bit is, even if you had ONE SINGLE error, then for me that's a RAM return. Assuming I've eliminated it from being the RAM slots for example (usually by trying each RAM module individually).

The only acceptable level of errors on memtest is 0.
There is no guarantee they are the cause of the crashes, but it's highly likely based on that result.
Return the RAM and then retest :)

jack.h.tierney

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
Thanks! Im glad its not my new RTX 2070. I am going to put these two sticks in slot 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3 and see if I get the same errors so I know if its my sticks or the slots on MOBO that is the issue.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

jack.h.tierney

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
Ya good idea. This way I at least know which of my 2 sticks are the culprit. ** , my memory is blocked by AIO radiator so I gotta take it all apart. FUN!

Last edited by a moderator: