Question What do these numbers mean?

Oct 24, 2019
So my computer has been running slowly whenever I play games the last several weeks. After some research, I am guessing it is because my CPU is not operating at max but I am not sure what to do to fix it. Any suggestions? I have tried messing with Power Options in the control panel and even reset the BIOS. Any input is appreciated.

View: https://imgur.com/a/mxzNYDX

Motherboard: 760GM-P34 (FX)
Processor: AMD FX-6300
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX560
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3
RAM: 8 GB

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
So my computer has been running slowly whenever I play games the last several weeks. After some research, I am guessing it is because my CPU is not operating at max but I am not sure what to do to fix it. Any suggestions?
Maybe lower the resolution or graphics.
But what CPU cooler are you using? Are the fans really loud? Maybe your temps are too high.

Try to check your temps. If you have really high temps than your CPU could sometimes underclock itself to run less hot. That could be the reason the cores are running at only 1.4 ghz, when it is clocked at 3225mhz. Is your CPU under full load?

Oct 24, 2019
According to what program?

15c is 59f or well below room temperature in many places. If your ambient temperature is similar, 15c is certainly an inaccurate reading as it is impossible for a CPU to be below room temp with standard cooling.
According to Core Temp and HWiNFO64. Also, in AMD Overdrive it has thermal margins of 58 degrees for each core and its max operating temperature is 70.5c. I am also in my basement where it is colder if that matters at all...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's an FX cpu. The only place you should be reading temps is from Overdrive, using Thermal Margins. If what you are seeing is a Thermal Margin of 15°, then you are running hot, but 15° away from any major issues.

HWInfo doesn't work. None of those monitors do. It's FX, not Intel. The only other program that does, apart from Overdrive is Coretemp, and it too must be set for Thermal Margins.

Max core temp for All of the FX cpus is 63°C, but since the FX do not have on-core thermal sensors the way Intel does, that 63°C was taken from a prototype cpu that had on core sensors added, which were not included in production models, so physical readings are impossible. Thermal Margins use complex algorithms that use cpu voltages, socket temps, vid etc to come up with a figure, but that figure is just a representation of how much room is left. It's not an exact number.

So when OD says a TM of 58, you have all kinds of room, that's one chilly cpu, but it's not running at 5°C (63-58), it's actually running at @ 10-12°C above the room ambient temp. (that's @ 6°C or so below case ambient temps.

You could change your current 0.8v vcore to 0.9v and see that TM go from 58 to 48, but that's not a 10°C difference, just a representation of what room you have left.

40+: is it even running? Pc asleep?
30-40: still got all kinds of room.
20-30: hey! It's alive and kicking.
10-20: ooh it's warm in here! Pay attention!
5-10: what ya doin? I'm cooking! Need help!
0-5: call the fire department.....
-1+: you in for it now, hah, shutdown city.

The exact number doesn't matter. It's what that number is that does, where it is.

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
What cpu cooler are you using? If it's a tower or AIO liquid cooler you may need to get airflow going across the VRMs. If you have a stock or top down blower cooler or ther VRMs already have airflow then it could be failing VRMs, which isn't uncommon on those old cheaper AM3 boards.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's idle right? TM of 58, VID of 0.8v, that cpu is barely awake, not even close to thermal throttle.

If I didn't know better, I'd say there's some sort of eco setting in bios/motherboard software (not cool'n'quiet) that's choking cpu power. On my Asus board was a EPU switch that'd only allow cpu to max at 40% usage. Was also possible to enable that in Asus suite. Hit it accidentally while cleaning once, took me hours to figure out what was going on.

TRENDING THREADS