What do these symptoms sound like?

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
My home network consists of a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and a USB WUSB11 USB network adapter (it's a "B" ). It has been running great for more than a year. Recently I have had issues with the pc that the USB adapter is connected to in that it has been spontaneously rebooting. I have replaced memory, tried different hard drives, etc. but the problem persists.
Coincidentally my this pc now takes several minutes to establish a network connection whereas I don't believe it used to. Also transfer speeds seem to be slower.
Would a problem with the network adapter cause the rebooting?
Thanks for any opinions.
Gary

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Unlikely, especially since it's a USB adapter. The memory would have been the first thing I would check. Since you've done that I'd probably take a look at temps.

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Some questions for you to address the spontaneous reboots:

1. Have you performed a virus scan?
>Sounds like virus-activity to me.

2. Do you see any kind of error message(s) before a spontaneous reboot?
>For example, does the message make reference to LSASS?

3. Do you have a firewall app in place (not WinXP SP2 firewall)?
>An error message making reference to LSASS will go away after installing a firewall app.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
My neighbor was having a similar issue. Replacing his mobo fixed it.
Do you have any other usb devices plugged in? How about a usb card reader? Another thing that was happening to my neighbor was his comp would reboot when rightclicking on his usb card reader :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

riser

Illustrious
Gremlins.. they're attracted to wireless..

Is your wireless secured? Could it be someone is connecting to your wireless and screwing around with you or has something running to keep knocking you off/rebooting you? Shot in the dark, but I've seen programs out there that'll hijack wireless connections.. which would explain slow connections and long times to connect..

Now, have you tried a different USB port? Have you unplugged everything that isn't necessary to make sure nothing is conflicting? Anything else USB..
Have you stayed off the wireless to see if it reboots without the usb adapter in? basic stupid troubleshooting but sometimes the problem isn't what seemed obvious..

Riser

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Considering you've tried different hard drives, it may not be virus activity as I speculated earlier. Problem could be with the power supply if not the motherboard.