What do you guys think about this case?

chibamarco

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Hello, everyone!

Im planning to make my build in early 2019, but I have an question...

What do you guys think about the Thermaltake Versa H17? How is the airflow in this case? How is the build quality?

On Amazon most of the reviews are for the Supressor F31 case...

I also want to use 2 Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM case fans for the intake and an single Noctua NF-P12 redux PWM for the exhaust. (Replacing the stock fan with it)

How will the airflow be in this case?

Thanks in advance. :)

P.S: I want to buy this case instead of the Define Mini C, because I needed to buy school supplies, and because of that I need to buy an cheaper case. :(

Solution
I think you should find a way to buy your first choice, the define mini C.

It has three plusses compared to the H17.

1. You apparently like the looks better. Looks count. You will be using the same case for several builds.
If you buy anything else, you will forever be second guessing yourself.

2. The H17 has only 155mm available for a cooler. Good tower type coolers will typically need 160mm. The define C has 170mm available.

3. The define c has front intake filters which will keep your parts clean.

Post a list of the parts that will be inside.
Perhaps we can find some cost savings.

You can always start with the stock fans. You might want to add a second front intake.
As good as the noctua fans are, there are still some...

The versa h17 has pretty meh airflow. It doesn't have much air intake which depending on the components can make or break the case in terms of thermals.

You are willing to spend more money on fans than the case so why not just get a good case that has a couple stock fans that create enough airflow? A well ventilated case can sometimes even run passively or has enough with one exhaust or intake fan.

A wel ventilated case would be the cm Q300L.

It's a case within the same pricerange and a good example as to what to look for. If you want something else look for similar cases and just post a list here.

If you just remove those noctua fans from your budget and use the fans that come with the define mini you are more than within it's pricerange. You don't need crazy airflow in your case just a steady supply of fresh air is enough and the define mini has more than enough ventilation for it.

I think you should find a way to buy your first choice, the define mini C.

It has three plusses compared to the H17.

1. You apparently like the looks better. Looks count. You will be using the same case for several builds.
If you buy anything else, you will forever be second guessing yourself.

2. The H17 has only 155mm available for a cooler. Good tower type coolers will typically need 160mm. The define C has 170mm available.

3. The define c has front intake filters which will keep your parts clean.

Post a list of the parts that will be inside.
Perhaps we can find some cost savings.

You can always start with the stock fans. You might want to add a second front intake.
As good as the noctua fans are, there are still some very good inexpensive fans available. Yate loon for example.

Solution

chibamarco

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Here is the part list:

MoBo: ASRock B450M PRO4 (Cheaper than an B350M BAZOOKA here lol)

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: Sapphire RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Gray 8GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit

HDD: WD Blue 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB

SSD: WD NEW Green 120GB SATA-III M.2 2280

PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 EVO Edition Bronze 620W

Thermal Compound: ARCTIC AC MX-4

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper H412R

I really hope my parents wont screw up like last year, they bought me an weak laptop, but I forgive them, cuz they aren't the best in tech. :)

chibamarco

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Thats the maximum budget I have right now, if I want to get an 1TB SSD and ditch the HDD+SSD, I need to pay 134$ more.
And even tho the difference in RAM price isn't too big, the price for higher frequency RAM always fluctuates for some reason.

Also, cant I overclock the RAM to 3000Mhz? Or only up to 2933Mhz?

Good choice on the 1tb ssd. You can always add a hard drive for bulk storage later.

Ram is binned, ram that is capable of 3000 speeds will be sold at 3000 speed for more.
You could get lucky, but do not count on it.

And... It may matter little for real app or fps performance.
Here is an older ram scaling study:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1478-page6.html