[SOLVED] What do you guys think of this 1440p build? Any suggestions

Feb 14, 2019
I'd like to build my first gaming computer and wanna make sure I'm not going overboard with the system, but I wanna run 1440p at ultra high settings on every game (WoW, BO4, Fortnite, Apex Legends, etc and be above 60 fps). I'm not really worried about the price. I plan on getting a 1440p at least 144hz screen. For the extra fans, I plan on replacing the radiator fans with the 120mm rgb and placing the 3, 140mm fans on the front of the case. Let me know what you think with any suggestions!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mech_engineer09/saved/tJRr6h

Solution
You'll be able to get more than 60fps at 1440p for sure.
I have a 1080Ti (which is the same as the 2080) and play at 1440p, and get about 100fps on average (sometimes more, sometimes less) at high preset with modern AAA titles, getting more like 70-80 on average with ultra (depending on game).
Btw, my 1080ti is overclocked past 2000MHz, and my CPU is overclocked to 4.6GHz for reference.

You should be more or less fine, and with some specific titles, ultra won't do you any good visually compared to a lower setting, so you'll have to adjust a setting here and there to make those certain games play at higher refresh rates.

But honestly, ultra/max settings is kind of pointless since most games don't see much of a difference between that...
Feb 14, 2019
I would go for SSD RAID and water cooling for card and cpu, less dust too.
well I have the Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler on there to water cool the cpu. Sorry I'm kinda new to all of this what is an SSD RAID. Also I picked the Samsung - 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive to eliminate some wires and plan on using that just for windows and apps. WIll probably upgrade the 7200rpm to a 2.5 ssd at some point down the road for games, but figured for now thats fine

Feb 14, 2019
Don't bother with SSD raid, you won't see a performance upgrade over that NVMe M.2 SSD.

The build is nice, if it saves you any money I'd snag the G3 version of that PSU as that would be plenty for that system as well as overclocking.
Alright cool! Yeah I looked into the SSD RAID and didn't see any benefits. I have the G3 version on there. I plan on overclocking as well, but one step at a time lol. I'll look more into that once I get it built.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I have a 1080Ti (which is the same as the 2080) and play at 1440p, and get about 100fps on average (sometimes more, sometimes less) at high preset with modern AAA titles, getting more like 70-80 on average with ultra (depending on game).
Btw, my 1080ti is overclocked past 2000MHz, and my CPU is overclocked to 4.6GHz for reference.

You should be more or less fine, and with some specific titles, ultra won't do you any good visually compared to a lower setting, so you'll have to adjust a setting here and there to make those certain games play at higher refresh rates.

But honestly, ultra/max settings is kind of pointless since most games don't see much of a difference between that and the high preset, and all it's doing is hurting your frame rates.

Reactions: mech_engineer09
Solution
Feb 14, 2019

But honestly, ultra/max settings is kind of pointless since most games don't see much of a difference between that and the high preset, and all it's doing is hurting your frame rates.

Yeah I'd probably play most games on high settings, some look better on lower settings to me. Fornite for instance, is way too dark with shadows turned on and ultra settings. I'll probably just play most on competative settings, I'm buying more higher end gear for now in the hopes that it will be a while before I upgrade.

Feb 14, 2019

have you had any experience with the asus MB? This one mostly has good reviews, but many people who have bought it have had problems when using m.2 storage with it because the screws on the heat sink are locktite'd in. so they're basically stripping the screws and having a terrible time getting them out and then it looks like shit once they get them back in.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
not with that specific one no.
I've used Maximus boards before and other ASUS boards (I currently use the Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA board for my 6700K) and they are great boards.

In regards to the M.2 thing, I wouldn't know personally.

I also don't personally care for M.2 as compatibility varies drastically across different boards and am fine with the speeds of a 2.5" SSD so I just stick to using those.