What do you guys think of this build and can i save money on it?

MarcusDutt

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
I don't really want to change case or monitor but I want to use it for photo and video editing and of course high-resolution gaming at a decent fps
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PWQ66X
I will try to upgrade to a second graphics card in the future and may even custom loop the PC and once I have the second graphics card to run a second monitor will get one of those. And to finish, I want a pascal graphics card. Thanks.

Solution
1. For a top end build, that will run multithreaded apps, I would pay a bit more for a I7-6800K.
It is a more power efficient 14nm processor vs 22nm for the 5800K.

2. Photoshop can use lots of ram for workfile.
Consider buying a 32gb kit. Dominator is a marketing brand; I would use the lpx variant with no difference in performance.

3. The motherboard supports M.2 pcie x4. Use a Samsung 950 PRO m.2 ssd.

4. 750w is minimum for sli GTX1080

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

5. Seagate may not be your best hard drive option for...
Great choice in high quality components, this machine will serve you well for years to come. However, some of the prices aren't showing for me so I can't really help you in saving money because I can't see an accurate total for how it's configured right now. Maybe because I live in the US?

MarcusDutt

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

You can change the currency in the the top right corner

1. For a top end build, that will run multithreaded apps, I would pay a bit more for a I7-6800K.
It is a more power efficient 14nm processor vs 22nm for the 5800K.

2. Photoshop can use lots of ram for workfile.
Consider buying a 32gb kit. Dominator is a marketing brand; I would use the lpx variant with no difference in performance.

3. The motherboard supports M.2 pcie x4. Use a Samsung 950 PRO m.2 ssd.

4. 750w is minimum for sli GTX1080

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

5. Seagate may not be your best hard drive option for reliability.
WD is likely better.
Read up on the WD rainbow.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Understanding-the-WD-Rainbow-674/

6. Lastly, a good noctua cooler like the NH-U14s will do the job better and quieter.
My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
google "H100 leak"
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------

Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler.

Solution

MarcusDutt

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

How about the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3?

Looks good to me.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (£407.99 @ Novatech)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£68.39 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Taichi ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (£232.75 @ More Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£162.10 @ Novatech)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£157.00)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£96.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card (£669.95 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Lian-Li PC-O8WX ATX Mid Tower Case (£374.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£119.99 @ Novatech)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit (£152.96 @ More Computers)
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 Pro LED White 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£19.99 @ Novatech)
Case Fan: Corsair ML140 Pro LED 97.0 CFM 140mm Fan (£21.98 @ Novatech)
Monitor: Dell U3415W 34.0" 60Hz Monitor (Purchased For £649.00)
Total: £3174.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-07 17:50 GMT+0000

I am viewing in British Pounds, it's just not showing a price for some of them.