What do you look for in a laptop?

eurocomtechspert

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

How long do you want a laptop to last? Is upgradability icing on the cake? or a key factor?

iceblitzed

Distinguished

It was semi important. I bought a laptop off ebay w/ the intent of switching the hard drive with an ssd. Switching out the hdd was much easier compared to other laptops. Id like it to last 5 years from date of purchase

eurocomtechspert

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

What kind of laptop?

iceblitzed

Distinguished

It was a Lenovo thinkpad x220. Its 12.5in diagonal and on the small side. Wish I bough the Lenovo thinkpad t420 instead which is 14in diagonal.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
There are lots of things to consider in a notebook. Gaming? Size and Weight? Battery life? durable?

Myself I love power and big screens. The last 3 laptops i bought had 20.1", 18.4" and 18.4" screens. They were powerful with discrete graphics cards and the last one with SLI graphics. So my least consideration is battery life and weight. I like big hard drives or SSD's and fast wireless.

My current laptop will allow up to 4 drives if I replace the optical drive with a HD or SSD. It came with a 256 GB MSATA SSD and a 1 tb Hd with 1 slot open.

My last laptop came with a 750 gb HD. I cloned it to a 240 GB SSD and move it to the the 2nd drive bay. i also added 8 gb of to go from 8 to 16 GB.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Maybe that's why 4K Screens are slow to hit 17.3" screens. Well one thing you notice on laptops in the power mgmt setting if you have it set on a conserve battery settings the when you disconnect the power the screen get's dimmer. Gaming also eats battery life.

eurocomtechspert

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

Unfortunately it can and some sacrifices have to be made to get this kind of quality. We keep wanting out systems to do more and more and the payoff has to come some where.

eurocomtechspert

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

Virtually everything dims when its unplugged. My cell phone does that.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

It's a setting in every device. If you have it set for performance it won't dim and you get less battery life . If you set it to power saving mode it dims the screen automatically but that can be controlled as it can be with a laptop in power setting. Im looking at me power setting screen on my phone currently and it's off so my screen never dims.