[SOLVED] What do you recommend for an upgrade? or Can I upgrade to any graphics card?

Feb 24, 2020
Currently I have a Acer Aspire T3-710 Desktop PC with
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel Core I5 6400
NVIDIA GeForce GT730 2GB
3TB
12GB DDR3

I want to upgrade the graphics card for a better graphics to the PC however I am not computer minded and would like some help? Can I upgrade to any graphics card for my PC?

This will be used for gaming. FIFA 20 GTA5.

Solution
This appears to be a tower system using a standard-sized power supply, so that's good in case you need to upgrade the power supply (PSU).

Is this what the motherboard looks like on your system:
ns14wgsv81mo.png

If so, then it looks like you have the standard 24-pin ATX connector and 4-pin CPU connector, rather than some wacky proprietary connectors for power.

BUT - you'll need to give us the brand, model, and, preferably, power specifications from the PSU's label. Just the total wattage isn't enough to know. Also, if there are any 6-pin, 8-pin, or 6+2-pin (basically, a 6-pin with a detachable 2-pin so it can be used as 6 or 8) PCIe connectors on the power supply.

Also, is this...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This appears to be a tower system using a standard-sized power supply, so that's good in case you need to upgrade the power supply (PSU).

Is this what the motherboard looks like on your system:
ns14wgsv81mo.png

If so, then it looks like you have the standard 24-pin ATX connector and 4-pin CPU connector, rather than some wacky proprietary connectors for power.

BUT - you'll need to give us the brand, model, and, preferably, power specifications from the PSU's label. Just the total wattage isn't enough to know. Also, if there are any 6-pin, 8-pin, or 6+2-pin (basically, a 6-pin with a detachable 2-pin so it can be used as 6 or 8) PCIe connectors on the power supply.

Also, is this what it looks like in your case?
51eVTAGcjKL.jpg

If so, then you should have a decent amount of room, though you might want to take measurements to be sure that metal panel toward the front isn't blocking too much.

Then there is the matter of your monitor's resolution and refresh rate, and if it has GSync, FreeSync, or neither.

Performance-wise, I'm also a little concerned about the 12GB RAM - that makes me think that it's a 4GB stick plus an 8GB stick. That means some or all of the RAM will run in single-channel mode rather than dual channel mode, hurting performance somewhat.

I might be getting ahead of myself with the RAM issue, though. Knowing your monitor's details, your power supply's details, and performance expectations will definitely be a good start, though.

Reactions: UTD-2020
Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
From what I've found, that system can come with a 220 watt PSU, but can be upgraded using a standard power supply. The problem that I see is the space available for a graphics card upgrade. As noted by @King_V, there is a question as to the length of the card that you can install. In addition to that, would be the card width. On the diagram above, note the location of the Front Audio port (17). If you need to use the front audio ports on your PC, you would need to limit your card to a single slot width card.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: UTD-2020 and King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
On the diagram above, note the location of the Front Audio port (17). If you need to use the front audio ports on your PC, you would need to limit your card to a single slot width card.

Good catch - I missed that. Depending on how much performance you want from the card, I'd say it would likely be worth it to stick with using the back audio outputs only if you can't find a single-slot-width card that meets your needs.

Reactions: UTD-2020