[SOLVED] What do you suggest i upgrade in my laggy PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

14edwjar

Reputable
Dec 22, 2019
Specs:
Graphics card: nvidia geforce gtx 1050 ti
Processor: Amd athlon 880k quad core
Ram: 16Gb DDR 3
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-F2A68HM-H FM2+ AMD

At the moment i cant run GTA and sometimes i even lag on games like Brawhalla. Any help would be appreciated thanks :)

Solution
The 2600 is a good chip at the moment. I think it's around $120 or so. Add in an $80 board and 16GBs of ram and you should be just under $300. Will breathe new life into your GPU.

4745454b

Titan
While old, it's single thread faster than a lot of Athlon stuff out there

Sorry, but that is synthetic garbage. I finally found a review of the 880K and they listed the GPU they used, a Sapphire R9 390X.

https://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/amd/x4-880k-versus-g4400/1

I don't play firestrike or any other synthetic benchmark. I honestly skip every synthetic benchmark that comes out after the ATI 2900X garbage that happened. It's pointless. Show me real programs that real people use. Look at the Cinebench R15 results. All the AMD CPUs score a single core bench of ~95points. Intel? The G4400 scores nearly 140.

But it's the gaming results I want to point out. Game after game they test, with a R9 390X mind you, they test at 720 with high settings. In most of the games you are looking at results in the 60-80FPS range. Do you really look at that and think it's the fault of the 390X and they should have tested with a bigger GPU? They show the results of three low end CPUs paired with a 390X and don't get the results you'd expect. And yes, they used an SSD.

A cpu architecture upgrade is needed for a long-term solution, but money is tight so whaddagonnadoo?

Money is tight? For you or the OP? OP said he had $300 to spend. I don't remember small budget being mentioned. Please try to remember we are trying to help the OP. If the OP says he has $300 to spend on an upgrade that doesn't mean spend only $100 of it because you somehow know his/her situation and s/he needs to save as much of his/her money as possible.

It would be one thing if he was having major stuttering, but a once in a while lag is indicating the cpu is getting interrupted

Adding system ram would be something to consider, but he already has 16GBs. SSD might help, but again considering the system as a whole I would think a 4C/4T low end CPU from years ago might be the issue. (Could be temps, board issue, power, etc as well.)

Your opinions aren't facts no matter how much you think they are, just as mine aren't facts and are just my experience.

True. And thank you for voicing your experience. Perhaps if you lead with your cousins issue instead of just saying buy a bigger card things would have gone different. But you do realize 3 mods and a Herald have all suggested a new core right? Do you care to guess how much experience is there? The four of us are so wrong because of your cousin? Interesting.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
You're right. All benchmarks are synthetic garbage. And even testing scenarios aren't accurate because it's not the real thing. You know the scenario that counts? The actual OP scenario--same system, same setup, same software. Now, the only way to do that is the OP change out a part and try it. With return policies in existence, I see no harm in trying that out if it has the potential to make a serious difference.

OP mentioned they are young and only have $300 in their bank account and "really don't want to spend it all". $300 would be a nice budget, but the OP specifically mentioned not wanting to spend it all.

I'm not saying that it can't be the cpu because it is definitely long in the tooth. But there is a big difference in a shutter and consistent lower frame rates. If something is interrupting an otherwise good average framerate, something is usually interrupting the cpu. Hence my recommendation to just throw more gpu at it.

I don't need to convince anyone to believe my opinion. It's my opinion for the OP to make that decision. I've seen 'experts' in the IT field proven wrong so many times by what I know that I don't bother trying to convince anyone anymore. It just gets annoying to hear the same 'throw everything away that's trash!!' advice that has become the norm for anyone upgrading anything that's several generations old, and especially when it is thrown at a kid who's looking for an inexpensive way to temporarily solve a problem as they were not looking for advice on what new system to buy. Just a point of view. ymmv.

Sorry OP for killing your thread with our banter. :( Hope you were able to find help for your issue.