[SOLVED] What do you think about my new PC and which power supplie I need?

Jul 10, 2020
HI EVERYONE:D! My main doubt would be the power supplies, I don't know how to calculate properly, please help me.
This is my new PC configuration, I want it to play, work design and, almost every use as a main computer. I wanted to buy a motherbooard that let me improve eventually the components, so some of them are cheap options, such as RAM or CPU, but I liked that graphic card in order to add another one in the future. Is all of this correct? Is 1458,26€ a fair price (1800€ was the original price with no discount)

Graphic card: ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT ROG Strix Gaming 08G OC 8GB GDDR6
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.4Ghz 8-core
RAM: 16Gb (2x8Gb) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz CL16
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 750W 80+ Gold Modular SSD: SATA Kingston A400 960Gb 500Mb-s
Fan: (2x) Talius LED 12Cm
Case: Cooler Master Masterbox TD500
THANK SO MUCH!!

Solution
Hands down, the cpu and gpu are by far, going to use the most power. So if you find out how much they can draw, you'll have a better idea of what you can run with.
Cpus: try to find reviews that cover cpu package draw, not full system draw.
Gpus: same deal as above, or you may even be able to find the Vbios for a particular card.

3700X: looks like it could do up to 130w in the worst case scenario: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-9-3900x-7-3700x-review,6214-3.html
ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT ROG Strix Gaming 08G OC 8GB GDDR6: 220w is the highest power limit from the gpus submitted here.
So: 130 + 220 = 350w. You can add 50-100w to cover for all the extra peripherals and whatnot... 400-450w.
Then there's the whole...
Jul 10, 2020
Chassis: If available, replace the TD500 chassis with the TD500 Mesh version, or even the CM H500.

Motherboard: more affordable Prime X570-P or TUF Gaming X570-Plus

Hi, thanls a lot for your fast answer, can you explain in a simple way the main reasons for the chassis change?
And, when it comes to the motherboard, Im affraid of not being able to profit the 4.0 gpu pcie, for instance, or lose connectivity advantages, as well as the 3rd gen amd cpu socket... dont you think it is a great motherboard?

thanks again,

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hi, thanls a lot for your fast answer, can you explain in a simple way the main reasons for the chassis change?
Easy enough: the TD500 Mesh and CM H500 allow for more air through the front.

And, when it comes to the motherboard, Im affraid of not being able to profit the 4.0 gpu pcie, for instance, or lose connectivity advantages, as well as the 3rd gen amd cpu socket... dont you think it is a great motherboard?
Well, you won't profit from PCIe 4.0 for gpus regardless. This feature only benefits multi-NVMe setups currently. Gpus don't over-saturate PCIe 3.0, so where's the advantage?

The Strix X570-E Gaming, right along with the -F, are overpriced for what they offer. Pricing has changed a little from the time of that video... they made the 200USD range boards too good.

Well, this is where we get to the crystal ball area.

For gpu's 4.0 is not an immediate requirement. That will likely be a few years out.

What we don't know is how the new console hardware using PCIe 4.0 will translate, if it even does, to pc's.

Do you need PCIe 4.0 now? No.

Next year? 2 years? We just don't know. This usually comes down to a budget choice. But when I build a pc I try to get all the latest and greatest within reason, so I got the Asus TUF x570.

Reactions: lucas adrian rocher
Jul 10, 2020
Well, this is where we get to the crystal ball area.

For gpu's 4.0 is not an immediate requirement. That will likely be a few years out.

What we don't know is how the new console hardware using PCIe 4.0 will translate, if it even does, to pc's.

Do you need PCIe 4.0 now? No.

Next year? 2 years? We just don't know. This usually comes down to a budget choice. But when I build a pc I try to get all the latest and greatest within reason, so I got the Asus TUF x570.

One more thing, I really need help with the power supply, which is the secure Watt minimum ? How could I know? thanks again

Well you guys are awesome, thanks a lot, probably I will considere changing the motherboard to one cheaper but similar.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hands down, the cpu and gpu are by far, going to use the most power. So if you find out how much they can draw, you'll have a better idea of what you can run with.
Cpus: try to find reviews that cover cpu package draw, not full system draw.
Gpus: same deal as above, or you may even be able to find the Vbios for a particular card.

3700X: looks like it could do up to 130w in the worst case scenario: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ryzen-9-3900x-7-3700x-review,6214-3.html
ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT ROG Strix Gaming 08G OC 8GB GDDR6: 220w is the highest power limit from the gpus submitted here.
So: 130 + 220 = 350w. You can add 50-100w to cover for all the extra peripherals and whatnot... 400-450w.
Then there's the whole efficiency curve, blah, blah, blah... 500-563w.
~Sooo, a good quality 550w or higher, if you really want to.

Solution