[SOLVED] what do you think about over-clocks like this?

Jan 16, 2020
Do you think it is dangerous to run my MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X at these clocks all day?

afterburner;
GPU-Z;
FurMark & GPU-Z Shark;
Heaven Benchmark (9fps cause i tabbed out for a second.)
heaven

seems to be running fine, higher than posted safe overclocks from elsewhere on toms hardware about GTX 1060 6GB do i have a good one or am i just lucking out on clocks.?

EDIT: basically do you think my GPU will die sooner than later, or should I just lower clocks?
EDIT#2: just thought I had one of the best GPU's in the batch that was made, because these clocks are insane for this GPU, nearly matching 1080's by this GPU I mean the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X edition.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you think it is dangerous to run my MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X at these clocks all day?
How long did you run each test?
You want the OC to be stable all day long? Then surely you ran each test for at least several hours?
And since no one has the time to actively monitor Heaven Benchmark for artifacts for that length of time - I suggest you stress test with Asus Realbench instead of Heaven Benchmark; it'll warn you of instabilities, unlike HB.

EDIT: basically do you think my GPU will die sooner than later, or should I just lower clocks?
It'll be long obsolete by the time that happens(die) - unless you screw something up.
More importantly though, is the make and model of your power supply. Overclocking increases power...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You want the OC to be stable all day long? Then surely you ran each test for at least several hours?
And since no one has the time to actively monitor Heaven Benchmark for artifacts for that length of time - I suggest you stress test with Asus Realbench instead of Heaven Benchmark; it'll warn you of instabilities, unlike HB.

It'll be long obsolete by the time that happens(die) - unless you screw something up.
More importantly though, is the make and model of your power supply. Overclocking increases power consumption, voltage draw, and temperatures.
Longevity can be the least of your problems if you're pushing an aggressive overclock and don't have a decent psu up to the task.

seems to be running fine, higher than posted safe overclocks from elsewhere on toms hardware about GTX 1060 6GB do i have a good one or am i just lucking out on clocks.?
It's either high memory frequency + low core frequency, or low memory frequency + high core frequency - or a happy medium between the two.
Your current settings are both high, which is usually unstable in the long run.

I can push a +600mhz on my gpu's memory, but if I try to go over +110 core, the gpu will pretty much give me the bird soon after.
I can also do something like a modest +300 memory and +160 core, and it won't complain. But my gpu favors high memory OCs more; the higher core OC doesn't benefit it as much.

Reactions: waydejr
Solution
Jan 16, 2020
Just ran that one test, though I've been gaming with it like this for about 3 years now.

More importantly though, is the make and model of your power supply. Overclocking increases power consumption, voltage draw, and temperatures.
Longevity can be the least of your problems if you're pushing an aggressive overclock and don't have a decent psu up to the task.
I have a Decent PSU, 1000 watt gold If i remember by EVGA or something.
thanks for insight, will keep an eye on everything.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if the card hasn't 'complained' with those settings after all this time, then it's probably fine. The gpu's vbios will keep you from doing anything too crazy.
Nvidia set rather conservative limits on these cards, so it's practically impossible to kill these things via software like Afterburner.

I have a Decent PSU, 1000 watt gold If i remember by EVGA or something.
Well shucks, that one's plenty!

Reactions: waydejr
Jan 16, 2020
I suggest you stress test with Asus Realbench instead of Heaven Benchmark; it'll warn you of instabilities, unlike HB.
Asus RealBench Result from 1 run.

----------------------------
Thu Jan 16 2020
00:25:53

Image Editing: 180991
Time: 29.4378

Encoding: 79218
Time: 67.2572

OpenCL: 79417
KSamples/sec: 14686

Heavy Multitasking: 90158
Time: 84.6511

System Score: 107446
----------------------------

EDIT:
noaIKlK.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's the benchmark(far too short), not the actual STRESS TEST, of which the button is right next to Benchmark.
Click on Stress Test, and select the 8hr option - the longer, the better.
For ram, you select the amount that's half of your total, and click Start... then go take a nap or something, LOL!