What do you think is the best RAM?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yes and I know what goes into validation, which is much better than it was a few years back, in fact I wrote a piece on QVLs for GSkill's forums back in 2012:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Also published a slightly upgraded version of it on the BenchMark Reviews site believe in late 2012, early 2013.

To your comments, server mobos can be pickier with DRAM than enthusiast mobos. As far as RAM be rated for a particular mobo, while that factors in, the MC (memory controller) is the primary factor as to what data rates of DRAM you can run. Mobo makers have long used DRAM as a crutch to not provide support, though if you push them they will, though in all actuality you can often get better help/support on a good forum such as here, the training provided to most mobo techs is minimal, and few know anything beyond the basics of enabling XMP (have run into some that didn't even know that ;) Yes price can play in, but don't expect mobo makers to start testing based on price, the market is too volatile and also don't look for them to test based on Value, Basic, or enthusiast DRAM, as mentioned, they work with whatever is available in their test sites, both DRAM and mobo makers generally work together and provide each other with components to test with as it's to both their benefits. Might also take a look at my Facts and Fiction pieces for more insight:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2741495/ddr3-faqs-fiction.html

seeingeyegod

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I think the kind of RAM with the most stereotypical enthusiast/gamer words attached to it "rage fury hyper X evo ultra super mega awesome !!!!11eleventy" is the best RAM, obviously.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

Yeah, the all to often heard "get whatever is cheapest" just doesn't seem to cut it :bounce:

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

Generally if somebody ask what is the best DRAM, they want the best is why. Not nondescript, value, high CL DRAM; they are looking for the best performance and quite often the ability for DRAM to even run faster/higher.

Madmaxneo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Exactly, plus as you (Tradesman1) have mentioned, it all depends on each individuals set up. I for one would not be able to use the RAM posted about because I currently use DDR3 RAM. If I were to upgrade to a system that uses DDR4 RAM I would probably go for something that has heatsinks installed on the RAM itself.

jamegriffin

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
DDR4 was previously used on some high-end systems and servers, most systems today continue to use DDR3.The new top-end kit from G.Skill runs at an aggregate 4266 MHz, with timings of 19-25-25-45 CR2.

Madmaxneo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

4266mhz? That is double my current RAM speed!

Is that DDR4 RAM? Because with those timing on DDR3 you may not get any kind of benefit.

GrimnirBuilder

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
When you have decided which memory to get, is it best to go 4x smaller or 2x larger
Example, if I want 16GB, should I get 4x4 or 2x8?

Madmaxneo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

From what I know it would be better to go with a 4x4 set up. What is the set up your building? Is it socket 1150, 2011, or something else?

I know with some motherboards the RAM and system run better with 4 sticks in the machine especially when OCing but that is not the case with all set ups.

GrimnirBuilder

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
1150, not sure which motherboard yet but maybe MSI Z97. However I may change my mind and get a smaller motherboard if only getting 1 graphics card to have more room in the case.

Madmaxneo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

I would definitely go with a 4x4 set up then on the 1150 platform.

GrimnirBuilder

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Think I will, especially if go for quad processor. If go for smaller motherboard with only 2 slots probably switch to 2x8 and also get duo core with bit higher speed

Lethath67

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012

Depends what CPU cooling you will have. Many aftermarket coolers will block RAM slots closest to the CPU.

I use an Evo 212 cooler and always will. And always use the first and third slot from the outside of the Mobo. Most are color coded for their dual setups. I will be using a 2 x 8Gb RAM on my next build which you can view HERE

ABlueQuaker

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
The way I see it, cost and the supposed manufacturing quality is what separates the good and the great RAM. I personally have an affinity for the Corsair Vengeance series as the Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz 2x8GB RAM Kit I got recently has worked perfectly so far.

Madmaxneo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Not always true, The G.Skill Trident X series usually has slightly better timings and have comparative prices. Sometimes a few dollars less sometimes a few dollars more.

But the truth is (and has been said many times on this thread) it all really depends on the set up your running. Some RAM has better comparative timings when you have more in your system, some have better when using less RAM. It all depends on what you need or want.

vashikaranguruji

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
DDR5 Ram is the best ram to optimize your performance and even we think that we are buying laptop or PC then we should go for better ram and processor because it will help your program and software very easily without debugging and run efficiently

Status
Not open for further replies.