What do you think, is this good enough?

Silver Knight

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
So, i managed to increase my budget by a small margin, and this is what i came up with.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 Quad-Core 760k
CPU Cooler: CM 212 Evo
Mobo: Asus A88X-PLUS
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1Tb
SSD: Not getting it now, but when i manage to scrap some more money
PSU: Raidmax RX-700AC 80+Bronze
GPU: PowerColor 270x PCS+ 2Gb
Case: Raidmax Scorpio V
RAM: Kingston 8Gb (2x4Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz

Now, my questions are:

Can that Mobo OC 760k (i think that because it's A88X)

Is 750k a better deal at the moment (difference between 760k and 750k here is around 10$)

Will there any higher end FM2 CPU's, or should i try to squeeze i3 4th get with h97, drop the Cooler, and then later upgrade to i5 o_O

What do i plan on doing it with this build:

- Mostly playing RPG's, and some emulated games

I'm also hoping to be able to play all of the Assassin's Creed current games. I don't really play FPS games.

So, do you think i should change anything o_O

EDIT: I'll be gaming on 1080p monitor.

EDIT 2: I'm going to be building this in August, so do you think something new is going to come out (like maybe a new FM2/+ CPU o_O)

Solution

Silver Knight

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

I chose this PSU because it is relatively cheap for being 80+Bronze and 700w... So it's bad...

What about this one o_O http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001799

Would it be good for OC'ing 760k o_O

Also, i should note that there aren't any Corsair PSU's here, and the ones that are actually good are out of my budget...

Should i try to stretch my budget for this PSU o_O http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001966

Silver Knight

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

The problem is, that EVGA is not available in my country :(

Those that i listed are around my budget, i can try to stretch it for CM G series PSU, but even that is hard...

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
Raidmax isn't the best but I really don't see any problem with it just a setup like yours, yes there is better, but not if you need to go far out of your way for it. I would get what you have listed, and then in the future when you have some extra money buy a good power supply.

You'd be better off waiting to get the CPU cooler and leaving the Athlon 760K at stock speeds for a while, to afford a better PSU. Even at stock it won't hold back an R9 270X too noticeably in most games.

Assassin's Creed is optimized for Nvidia+Intel, but normally those seem more expensive outside the US and Europe, so I'm not sure you can do anything about it.

Silver Knight

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

I heard that Assassin's Creed is truly badly optimized, but i think i should be able to run it up to the 3rd part o_O

Also, what do you think o_O Will there be some new FM2+ higher end CPU's, because i heard that AM3+ is dead, and i do wanna upgrade in the future to a better CPU o_O

As for CPU cooler, if i did drop it, i could afford this, again, with stretching my budget: http://eu.coolermaster.com/uk/product/Detail/powersupply/gaming-gm-series/g750m.html

Or should i go with this o_O It's cheaper, and i think it would suit my needs better, but this is ONLY if i drop the CPU cooler: http://eu.coolermaster.com/uk/product/Detail/powersupply/gaming-v-sm-series/v650s.html

The Cooler Master V650 is actually a good PSU, so go for that one. I'd recommend some others as well, but I have no way to tell what's available or for what price in your country, so the Cooler Master V650 will work. On the Tom's Hardware list of power supplies, it's ranked as a Tier 2 "Excellent quality unit".

I don't think you'll notice much difference in performance from losing the CPU cooler, but you'd certainly have problems if your power supply failed one day and broke the other parts in your PC.

Silver Knight

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

I just did the math, and by ditching the CPU Cooler, using this mobo: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A88XMPLUS/ And using V750S (the difference is around 10$... and i want to re-use the PSU in my next build :D) i'm within my budget :D

So, the next questions are:

- Can i OC with that Mobo
- Does that Mobo support CF

And this question - Do you think there will be new FM2+ stronger CPU's o_O

EDIT: I think that i won't be able to CF, since i see only one PCI...

1. Yes, you can OC on that motherboard.

2. It supports crossfire. The other PCI-E x16 slot is black, in order to show you that the gold one is the main slot.

3. There will most likely be stronger FM2+ CPUs releasing eventually. The Athlon 760K is pretty much an APU with the graphics disabled and a big price cut (from disabling the graphics). AMD has said they plan to continue making APUs for the FM2+ socket, and as long as they do that, they'll probably continue releasing the less expensive Athlon CPUs in stronger future iterations.

Solution

Silver Knight

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

So, i think that v750s would be able to run 2 270x with an OC'ed CPU o_O

Also, how hard is it to mount current aftermarket CPU coolers. I've been active laptop user since 2006, and the only CPU cooler that i ever dismounted and mounted back was a few years back on my father's Dell work PC, and it was pretty easy, so would it be easy to mount 212 EVO after building the PC...

And another question:

Do you think AMD will release something like 770k by August o_O

I think dual GPU setups are overrated, considering they generate so much more heat and take so much more power, while adding microstutter in some games, and don't increase the VRAM. Having said that, the V750s would probably handle 2 R9 270X if your mind was set upon doing that eventually.

Not sure. I've only mounted a couple coolers, but it was pretty easy. Took about 10 minutes. Just be careful about screws falling into your power supply when you're building the whole thing... I used a non-magnetic screw driver and almost lost a screw in there. It could've been a disaster.

I have no idea about that last question.

TRENDING THREADS