[SOLVED] What do you think of my build?

fpsduif

Commendable
Oct 24, 2017
Hi guys!

My pc is now two years old and is ready for a little upgrade. This summer I've made some good money so I've got some left to throw in my pc.

My current system is as follows:
  • i5 6600k
  • GTX 970
  • Z170 pro gaming Motherboard
  • 2X4 gb ram (3000 Mhz clock speed)
  • 256 gb ssd
  • 2tb hdd

I want to keep my current setup with the following additions:
  • RTX 2070 Super
  • i7 8700k
  • 2x8 gb ram (3200 Mhz clock speed)

Do you think this is a wise choice? would you do something different? any problems with compatibility between the components?

Please let me know :)

Solution
I have an CoolerMaster GM 550M. also, what do you mean with reusing the GPU and storage drives?
Just saying the bits that are easily reusable are GPU and storage drives. You are upgrading the GPU so you won't need to. However you will probably want to clean reinstall windows if you resuse the storage drive with the new hardware.

Also whilst the Super 2070 can run of a good quality 550W, however the GM is not great quality, so you may want to upgrade to a good quality 650W which clears NVIDIA recommendations too.

Obviously as stated above, you will need to upgrade motherboard too, and from my perspective, also upgrade PSU to better quality otherwise you risk instability and risk to the rest of the system as 550W can sometimes...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have an CoolerMaster GM 550M. also, what do you mean with reusing the GPU and storage drives?
Just saying the bits that are easily reusable are GPU and storage drives. You are upgrading the GPU so you won't need to. However you will probably want to clean reinstall windows if you resuse the storage drive with the new hardware.

Also whilst the Super 2070 can run of a good quality 550W, however the GM is not great quality, so you may want to upgrade to a good quality 650W which clears NVIDIA recommendations too.

Obviously as stated above, you will need to upgrade motherboard too, and from my perspective, also upgrade PSU to better quality otherwise you risk instability and risk to the rest of the system as 550W can sometimes be borderline for the 2070 Super depending on your usage, and the GM are not great.

Reactions: fpsduif
Solution

fpsduif

Commendable
Oct 24, 2017

Obviously as stated above, you will need to upgrade motherboard too, and from my perspective, also upgrade PSU to better quality otherwise you risk instability and risk to the rest of the system as 550W can sometimes be borderline for the 2070 Super depending on your usage, and the GM are not great.

Thanks for your advise!

My configuration is now as follows;
  • i7 8700K
  • msi rtx 2070 super gaming x trio
  • msi h370 gaming plus motherboard
  • gskill ddr4 2x8 3200Mhz
  • Cooler Master MWE gold 750
  • msi mag vampiric 010 midi tower with a vertical graphics card holder (for the looks ofcourse ;))

keeping my storage units (ssd and hhd).

Do you really think that I have to format my hard drives tho? And if yes, do I have to purchase a new copy of windows?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you really think that I have to format my hard drives tho? And if yes, do I have to purchase a new copy of windows?
It depends - no it's not NECESSARY, but you'd be surprised how many people we have come on the forums saying their computer isn't acting normally when they don't clean reinstall. You may be OK, but it is best practice to reinstall to avoid any headache. So it's up to you, because you can carry over residual junk and drivers that conflict with the new hardware.

So it can work, just it's not a guaranteed easy switch as Windows isn't as interchangeable as many claim it to be. It can and does have issues when not reinstalling - just a bit of a gamble. If you were switching from a much earlier generation platform, I'd definitely be suggesting a clean install.

Also what's your location roughly? The MWE Gold is much better, but feel like you might be able to get better for not much difference.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
How much are you getting the MWE Gold for?
Prices by you are inflated it would seem at the moment but these two are great PSUs (the RMx is excellent).

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair Vengeance 650 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€89.00 @ Paradigit)
Total: €89.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-06 14:15 CEST+0200

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€107.00 @ Megekko)
Total: €107.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-06 14:16 CEST+0200

fpsduif

Commendable
Oct 24, 2017
How much are you getting the MWE Gold for?
Prices by you are inflated it would seem at the moment but these two are great PSUs (the RMx is excellent).

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair Vengeance 650 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€89.00 @ Paradigit)
Total: €89.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-06 14:15 CEST+0200

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€107.00 @ Megekko)
Total: €107.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-06 14:16 CEST+0200

The Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w Full Modular PSU is €82,- right now
Link: https://www.megekko.nl/product/4186...ster-MWE-Gold-750-Full-Modular-PSU-PC-voeding

The corsair Vengeance 650w is €88,-
The Corsair RMx is €103,-

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Understood.

The MWE Gold is decent ultimately, just usually they're not the best valued, by you it would seem they are comparitively. I personally would probably opt for the Vengeance, as some could argue the caps might be better on the vengeance, however they're both good and both come with 5 year warranties :)

fpsduif

Commendable
Oct 24, 2017
Understood.

The MWE Gold is decent ultimately, just usually they're not the best valued, by you it would seem they are comparitively. I personally would probably opt for the Vengeance, as some could argue the caps might be better on the vengeance, however they're both good and both come with 5 year warranties :)

Hi! I've done some research over the last few days and this is what I've come up with:
  • Intel i7 8700K
  • MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
  • MSI H370 Gaming Plus motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8 3200Mhz
  • Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w
  • Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum

Do you think this is a solid build or would you do something different?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It is a solid build, you can either downgrade to 650W to save some money, or go to a higher end 650W for around the same price and get double the warranty (for example RMx or Seasonic FOCUS Plus). Just food for thought.

Other than that, looks good my friend :)

fpsduif

Commendable
Oct 24, 2017
It is a solid build, you can either downgrade to 650W to save some money, or go to a higher end 650W for around the same price and get double the warranty (for example RMx or Seasonic FOCUS Plus). Just food for thought.

Huge thanks!

I'll keep you updated on any further changes/the final build!

fpsduif

Commendable
Oct 24, 2017

Hi!

Because of a change in budget and some time to thing about it, my building strategy has changed a bit...

Right now I have the following configuration:
  • MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
  • Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2X8 3600 (CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18)
  • Corsair RM750x PSU
  • Corsair Hydro H100i RGB PLATINUM SE V2
I've heard some rumors that Ryzen CPUs are very picky about the RAM and motherboard. Do you see any problems or would you do something different?

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi!

Because of a change in budget and some time to thing about it, my building strategy has changed a bit...

Right now I have the following configuration:
  • MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
  • Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2X8 3600 (CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18)
  • Corsair RM750x PSU
  • Corsair Hydro H100i RGB PLATINUM SE V2
I've heard some rumors that Ryzen CPUs are very picky about the RAM and motherboard. Do you see any problems or would you do something different?
Well it can be - but also not necessarily. Whatever you see online, you'll be seeing the negative back end. People don't go to online forums if their systems works perfectly. So you'll naturally see all the "my rig doesn't work because of Ryzen".

In reality as with ANY memory modules and motherboards, unless they are directly stipulated as not compatible, it's nigh on impossible to see if there will be an issue as every system is different, and no component is the same. The RAM modules you will be getting cam be completely different to the exact same RAM model but from a different pack.

Ultimately, I can't see any issues perhaps outside of knowing there are plenty of systems that haven't loved 3600 RAM but are perfectly fine running them at 3200. Just I have noticed some with instability above 3200 - but again, I also know plenty that run at 3600.

Realistically if you found 3200 CL16, it would run practically the same as 3600 CL18. And I would say the 3200 is usually cheaper. That and you still don't need 750W and 650W would be more than sufficient if you wanted to save money there :)

Obviously just make sure if you're reusing the storage drives, that you clean reinstall windows.