[SOLVED] What do you think of my computer build, any suggestions?

Solution
The pure rock slim has roughly the same performance as the stock amd wraith on the 2600x. So unless you are buying that particular cooler for its looks, it's money not well spent. If you are gaming hard, cpu extensive games, gaming and streaming taxing the cpu, or planning on more than a basic OC, you'll need to move up in cooler class, the budget class really doesn't cut it.

That's a $1200 build. Expensive to replace. And you want to trust your baby to a cheap psu? The psu is the single most important part of any pc. The psu is solely responsible for powering everything, safely and healthily. Cheap psus are responsible for more posts with issues than almost any other catagory except for drivers.
The $10 difference between a Seasonic...
Mar 13, 2019
You don't necessarily need the cpu cooler unless for looks, the stock ryzen cooler works well enough.

That power supply is too small. I would go with a 550 minimum.
It should be the 550 not the 450 I guess it did not update when I changed it.
If the ryzen cooler works fine then I wont get the CPU cooler, I wanted to make sure the PC didn't over heat.

Thank you!

Mar 13, 2019
if you've waited this long you may as well wait for third gen ryzen to release in a couple more months
I already have a computer that was built by Iron Side and its kind of starting to give out on me so I wanted to build my own since it was cheaper. I didnt know that they were releasing the third gen so soon so I might wait, or I might just buy this one once prices drop.

Thanks for the help!

Mar 13, 2019
Adata 800 ssds arent great, id get a crucial or samsung model. I would also get a 550 or 650 for that system. You can use the stock cooler, but the dark rock slim is a step up. The link doesnt update, you just have to post the new link here.

I will definitely look into the Samsung SSD, do you have any suggestions on which one?

Thanks for the help!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($51.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1272.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-13 20:55 EDT-0400

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The pure rock slim has roughly the same performance as the stock amd wraith on the 2600x. So unless you are buying that particular cooler for its looks, it's money not well spent. If you are gaming hard, cpu extensive games, gaming and streaming taxing the cpu, or planning on more than a basic OC, you'll need to move up in cooler class, the budget class really doesn't cut it.

That's a $1200 build. Expensive to replace. And you want to trust your baby to a cheap psu? The psu is the single most important part of any pc. The psu is solely responsible for powering everything, safely and healthily. Cheap psus are responsible for more posts with issues than almost any other catagory except for drivers.
The $10 difference between a Seasonic Focus 650w and a Corsair CX 550 to me is an absolute no brainer. That Seasonic is one of the best rated psus in its class. More than several steps up from the Bronze CX.

Solution
Mar 13, 2019

The $10 difference between a Seasonic Focus 650w and a Corsair CX 550 to me is an absolute no brainer. That Seasonic is one of the best rated psus in its class. More than several steps up from the Bronze CX.
Thats good to know, I went looking for a few different parts and it looks pretty good. Will probably make the switch once I do a little more research. Thanks for the help!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 2600x is a 95w cpu 6c/12t. When you shop for a cooler, yo need to figure on what can happen, not just what you think might happen. So if there's a decent chance of OC, figure on that actually happening, figure on it being decent (no real point bumping up 100MHz). Better to spend $70 once on a big cooler that'll handle anything than spend $50 on something ok then another $70 to do what you want.

So plan on a cooler that's about double that 95w or better. That's @ the 180w range. Cryorig H5, Noctua NH-D14, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev b etc.

You can't ever over cool a cpu, but it's sure easy enough to undercool one.

I get it. Everyone is on a budget and cheap is nice. But look at the difference in builds for $70 on a $1200+ pc. You move up to a far better cooler that'll handle almost anything you do with that pc, from a cooler that's a stock replacement. You move up from a mediocre ok psu with barely enough reliable wattage, to a class leading, 10 year warranty, built by arguably the best OEM there is for psu, at 650w. You move up from a mediocre performance ssd at 250Gb to an SSD that challenges the Samsungs, and is 500Gb as well. For $70. That's ½ a days pay for me. I could justify the changes considering I keep pc's for 5+ years.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what Karadjgne said.
A good air cooler is something you can always invest in since they never really fail, although if you use the stock cooler and keep speeds at stock you could save over $50 and only sacrifice a couple of percent of performance from a slight overclock.
The cx line of power supplies is not bad if you are on a budget. The 450 watts isn't recommended for a 2070 but if you got a CX650(M) it would likely work fine for years to come. That being said, Seasonic is a great company and their power supplies are usually very high quality, which explains how they can warranty it for so long. The focus plus gold 650 watt is a significantly better PSU with higher efficiency, more modularity, and higher quality than the cx650(M), but if you absolutely can't stretch to the $10 more price of the Seasonic, the cx 650m should work.
As Karadjgne and I said, the MX500 500gb is a very good SSD, with very fast speeds and reliability to last. The extra capacity will also prove to be welcome later if and when the 240 fills up. The Kingston Sa400 is a cheaper drive and will not be as nice as the Crucial MX500, but its price point makes it hard to resist. Again, if you can stretch to the Crucial MX500 500gb, buy it. If you can only afford the Kingston SA400 240gb , you won't be making a bad choice.

Mar 13, 2019
I didn't see this until now but you two really helped and I have made a few of the recommended changes from you guys. Thank you for everything! I will probably not be buying PC for a little bit but I will definitely let you know what happens with everything.
Thank you again for everything,
- Miz