Question What do you think of the new AMD RX 3000 series? and what do you think nVidia will do to take the lead?

sirdariush

Reputable
Jan 10, 2019
Hmmm...the new 3000 series from AMD souns so well...3090 TX is supposed to compete with Radeon VII which is an excelent model but the 3090 TX is way more cheaper. I know the actual listed GPU prices won't be the same when the components will arrive but...what do you thnk of these new "BEAST" Navi models?

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
AMD gpu's are definitely a bang for buck like they say , that's why they run out of stock so fas t. where there cpu's lack their gpu's step in . if you are not into 3d rendering and such tasks ..

The only rumor I have heard that gets me down is that they might still be GCN based which is bad

Yup, that's correct. NAVI would be the last AMD GPU to be based on the GCN architecture though (refined). In 2021 we might see a completely new arch, rumored as ARCTURUS, (most probably on VLIW2, or as AMD calls it SUPER-SIMD). This is where things might change for AMD.

On some other off topic note:

I'm still sort of skeptical about NAVI though. The Radeon VII wasn't a very worthy contender either, at least in my opinion. It looks like AMD really wanted to compete with NVidia's RTX 2080, but didn't have much choice apart from re-branding and releasing a cut-down variant of their current MI50 Instinct compute card. Seems like a desperate move from AMD.

This R7 wasn't meant to be an actual gaming card to begin with, because AMD had plans to target the compute/HPC segment as well. They didn't have much choice either, so they just made some changes to the existing GCN architecture on a refined process Node though, giving us this R7 GPU.

This is also evident from the FP64 performance of this R7 GPU, which sits around (3.5 TFLOPs). AMD had a change of heart, deciding that their Radeon VII users deserved a little more FP64 performance from their new gaming flagship, making the GPU more appealing to professional users as well, while maintaining the performance advantages of their Radeon Instinct lineup.

But for gaming FP64 is irrelevant though. The inclusion of 4 existing HBM2 memory stacks also actually made this card to be priced in a higher bracket, as compared to the Vega 64 and similar cards. I hope is far betetr than all this.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Hmmm...the new 3000 series from AMD souns so well...3090 TX is supposed to compete with Radeon VII which is an excelent model but the 3090 TX is way more cheaper. I know the actual listed GPU prices won't be the same when the components will arrive but...what do you thnk of these new "BEAST" Navi models?
The keyword here is supposed. Plenty of speculations and rumors are going on, but not much we know for sure...

I think these new navi based cards will offer a slightly better performance/price ratio than their nvidia counterpart. But nothing as dramatic as some hope. AMD don't need to undercut nVidia by 50% to be competitive at a given performance level... A 10% lower price for the same performance would be enough to be quite competitive... Some people seem to think AMD is some kind of non profit organisation there to fulfill their dreams instead of a stock traded company there for making money for their stockholders...

Over at Guru3d.com https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/r...ven-navi-gpus-but-have-efficiency-issues.html
Nice to see XT is back (for the older members of the forum)

ModelGPUCompute UnitsVRAMTDPPerformancePrices (Rumor)
RX 3090 XTNavi 2064-225WRadeon VII + 10%$ 500 US
RX 3090Navi 2060-180W~ Radeon VII$ 430 US
RX 3080 XTNavi 1056-190W~ RTX 2070$ 330 US
RX 3080Navi 10528GB GDDR6175WVega 64 + 10%$ 280 US
RX 3070 XTNavi 1048-160WVega 64$ 250 US
RX 3070Navi 12408GB GDDR6130WVega 56$ 200 US
RX 3060Navi 12324GB GDDR675WRX 580$ 140 US

Over at Guru3d.com https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/r...ven-navi-gpus-but-have-efficiency-issues.html
Nice to see XT is back (for the older members of the forum)

ModelGPUCompute UnitsVRAMTDPPerformancePrices (Rumor)
RX 3090 XTNavi 2064-225WRadeon VII + 10%$ 500 US
RX 3090Navi 2060-180W~ Radeon VII$ 430 US
RX 3080 XTNavi 1056-190W~ RTX 2070$ 330 US
RX 3080Navi 10528GB GDDR6175WVega 64 + 10%$ 280 US
RX 3070 XTNavi 1048-160WVega 64$ 250 US
RX 3070Navi 12408GB GDDR6130WVega 56$ 200 US
RX 3060Navi 12324GB GDDR675WRX 580$ 140 US

The more interesting part is the efficiency issues. Would seem odd but I wouldn't put it past GCN to be harder to tame than a CPU uArch.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
When I first heard the rumor that AMD might start using nvidia's numbering scheme, I thought it was pretty lame. But then I remembered the whole nvidia GPP fiasco. It doesn't seem as lame now.

When I first heard the rumor that AMD might start using nvidia's numbering scheme, I thought it was pretty lame. But then I remembered the whole nvidia GPP fiasco. It doesn't seem as lame now.

Except that didn't cause possible confusion. I have had to explain that people could not buy a X399 board and use Intel CPUs in them. Of course this will only come into play with nVidias next GPU if they keep the naming to the 3000 like expected but its a pretty underhanded move TBH.

These are ultimately all just rumors, including the naming scheme. I'm not sure they would even want both their CPUs and GPUs using similar model numbers.

As for a possible "3000" series causing confusion though, the same could be said for Nvidia's current generation of cards. Why give them an "RTX" prefix when AMD had already been using a very similar "RX" prefix in recent years? And never mind how Nvidia shifted around the second half of the model numbers to higher price points to disguise the fact that most of their new higher-end cards weren't much faster than the old ones at a given price point. And where did the odd "16" series naming come from for their lower-end to mid-range parts?

Why give them an "RTX" prefix

I think that was because of RAY TRACING. The new Turing GPUs had hardware level support for Nvidia's RTX technology/platform, so I think that's why Nvidia gave this prefix, IMO. The non-RTX cards are still having the same old GTX prefix though.

BTW, I fully agree with the GTX 16 series naming scheme. Apart from this, Nvidia has released too many low-end/mid-tier SKUs and variants, in the 16 series, and sometimes it gets a bit confusing.

I think that was because of RAY TRACING. The new Turing GPUs had hardware level support for Nvidia's RTX technology/platform, so I think that's why Nvidia gave this prefix, IMO. The non-RTX cards are still having the same old GTX prefix though.

BTW, I fully agree with the GTX 16 series naming scheme. Apart from this, Nvidia has released too many low-end/mid-tier SKUs and variants, in the 16 series, and sometimes it gets a bit confusing.

Considering GTX stands for Giga Texel Extreme I would Assume RTX is just the same except Ray Tracing Extreme. I think nVidia had it planend to use RTX for a while and to be fair before than AMD was R9/R7 etc and before that HD.

While I want the naming scheme to NOT be the rumors, it most likely will as we are pretty close to launch. It will be interesting to see if they do bring back the XT moniker though. I still remember my 9800 XT. Was a great card.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Ah the AdoreTV rumors. Fascinating. Pricing and performance seems fair as generation and node upgrades go. Then again it's GCN on 7nm, and AdoreTV also mentions the leaker saying, 7nm Navi is having a hard time matching Vega 20 clock speeds due to thermals and ended by saying, "Disregard the faith in Navi, engineers can't wait to be done with it"..