[SOLVED] What do you think of this build?

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum. It's a rig to replace my current signature one, its time for it to rest.

So the purpose is gaming, discord, sometimes streaming on discord. no video editing whatsoever.

I7 10700k but im quite inclined to the 10600k
Corsair AIO WC 115i PRO RGB
MSI Z490 Gaming plus (I have 0 need for SLI, integrated wifis or excessive amounts of ports, I just one sata SSD and 1 Sata HDD)
Will add an M2 SSD in the future
Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 2x8 DDR4 16-19-19-39 , 3600mhz (thought of pushing to 4000 or 4400 but after seeying some videos i think the cost benefit is not worth it, insights?)
PSU is a HX750 80+ platinum certification,
Case is a corsair 220T mid tower, I loved the tempered glass looks

the GPU will be either RTX 3080 or RTX 2070TI, waiting for the reviews.

so thats it, anything i should change perhaps?

Last edited:
Solution
If budget is not an issue, buy the 10700K It will have a higher boost speed.

I suggested the NH-D15s which is a high compatibility version of the NH-D15.
It is only 160mm tall which will fit in your case.
The NH-D15 is 165mm.
Past that, the NH-D15s has been redesigned to clear tall ram heat spreaders.
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s/specification
It can handle 65mm tall ram. The ram you picked is 51mm.
Also, the cooler is a bit offset so graphics cards with backplates mounted in the usual first pcie x16 slot will not be impacted.
About the only knock on the D15s is the color of the beige fan.
Since it is sandwiched between dual towers, It is really not very visible.
Of course, you could change it our for a black fan.

The NH-D15...
If it were me, for that kind of budget, honestly I think I'd go Ryzen rather than Intel at the moment....

Technically Intel is marginally faster in games, but that is only if you are running at a low resolution with a top end gpu, and even then it's single digit % difference.

There is even an argument to say that at higher resolutions and with next gen GPU's the AM4 platform might be a touch faster thanks to PCIe 4.0 support (which will be included on RTX 3000 series).

Recent video by Hardware Unboxed on this topic:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ-6bb7-dIY

Add to that the fact you will also get a couple of extra cores at a given price point and the fact AMD have confirmed the 500 series chipset will get Zen 3 support when it comes out I personally think it's the smarter buy. That said Intel should support at least 1 more generation of CPU on their socket so the 10 series isn't a terrible platform to buy into.

If it were me, for that kind of budget, honestly I think I'd go Ryzen rather than Intel at the moment....

Technically Intel is marginally faster in games, but that is only if you are running at a low resolution with a top end gpu, and even then it's single digit % difference.

There is even an argument to say that at higher resolutions and with next gen GPU's the AM4 platform might be a touch faster thanks to PCIe 4.0 support (which will be included on RTX 3000 series).

Recent video by Hardware Unboxed on this topic:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ-6bb7-dIY

Add to that the fact you will also get a couple of extra cores at a given price point and the fact AMD have confirmed the 500 series chipset will get Zen 3 support when it comes out I personally think it's the smarter buy. That said Intel should support at least 1 more generation of CPU on their socket so the 10 series isn't a terrible platform to buy into.

hmm, that makes a whole lot of sense, to be honest i choosen intel for that maginally faster single core power, however, i was going to wait for actual 10nm intel node IF they finally get their 'stuff' together, but 2 things worries me, living in brazil the projection is that the dolar exchange here will jump from 5,42 to 6,50 bucks or more, wich will make prices sky rocket, im on the edge here, 2 years ago i'd never make this purchase as the exchange was only 3,90 so things are grim here.

Now, does something amd currently support pcie 4.0? and I already feel bad that ill be missing ddr5 next year, but the price will simple be unreal for me, i have to really buy something now for the less worse, what would you recommend?

I think the I5-10600K is a great gaming processor if you have budget constraints.
It will be a huge boost over your current 4770K.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review

Neither the 10600K nor the 10700K require exceptional cooling.
I would not buy that aio cooler.
For half the price, you can buy a better air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s.
It will be quieter, easier to install, more reliable and will cool equally well.
And... it will not leak.
Use the budget savings elsewhere.

Intel does not depend much on ram speeds. I think 3600 is fine.

If you play fast action games, spend more on the graphics card.
If you have some doubts about how strong you need to be in graphics, buy an EVGA card.
They have a free 90 day upgrade option if you decide you need stronger.
Read the fine print for conditions.

I think the I5-10600K is a great gaming processor if you have budget constraints.
It will be a huge boost over your current 4770K.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review

Neither the 10600K nor the 10700K require exceptional cooling.
I would not buy that aio cooler.
For half the price, you can buy a better air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s.
It will be quieter, easier to install, more reliable and will cool equally well.
And... it will not leak.
Use the budget savings elsewhere.

Intel does not depend much on ram speeds. I think 3600 is fine.

If you play fast action games, spend more on the graphics card.
If you have some doubts about how strong you need to be in graphics, buy an EVGA card.
They have a free 90 day upgrade option if you decide you need stronger.
Read the fine print for conditions.

honestly budget isnt an issue, its been 7 years i prepare for this haha, but neverthless i value my money, so i wont be throwing 10900 or 4400mhz ram or uber expensive mobos.

now the NH-15 attracted my attention, its been so many years ive been using an corsair AIO without any problems whatsoever, you see 7 years ago I was using a coolermaster V8, decent, but I didnt liked the fan noise when going full, and i overclock quite high, so when i choosen AIO back then i got very happy on how silent they were, so, you're saying the NH-15 can be quite silent as well? by that time, back then i think i saw NH14-D, I think it was that it was many years ago, but it was so immensely huge, and the yelloish brown color didnt pleased my very much. I'll be sure to do a better research on air coolers though.

The NH-D15 is 165mm.
Also, the cooler is a bit offset so graphics cards with backplates mounted in the usual first pcie x16 slot will not be impacted.

The NH-D15 does come in black but it is 165mm tall.
It also has only 32mm ram clearance with the fan in normal orientation.
https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/specification

I use the NH-D15s and it is all but inaudible in my case during a stress test.

If you are not set on that particular case, there are other good options.

The Z490 motherboards are supposed to be pcie 4.0 capable with a bios update.
A moot point because of the lack of devices capable of using that speed.
Current graphics cards show limited performance difference between pcie 2/3.
And, mostly at the highest end.
There are some pcie 4.0 ssd devices on the horizon.

DDR5 is not on the near horizon. I think two years out.

If you have a need now, buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

Solution

The NH-D15 is 165mm.

The NH-D15 does come in black but it is 165mm tall.
It also has only 32mm ram clearance with the fan in normal orientation.
https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/specification

I use the NH-D15s and it is all but inaudible in my case during a stress test.

If you are not set on that particular case, there are other good options.

The Z490 motherboards are supposed to be pcie 4.0 capable with a bios update.
A moot point because of the lack of devices capable of using that speed.
Current graphics cards show limited performance difference between pcie 2/3.
And, mostly at the highest end.
There are some pcie 4.0 ssd devices on the horizon.

DDR5 is not on the near horizon. I think two years out.

If you have a need now, buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

very clear answer, i actually choosen another case, for better clearance, full tower so i dont have to worry, but ill try to find the NH15 on any black versions, I really dont understand why they make em that color...

in any case, i finally opted for the 10700k because of the 2 extra cores, I want it to last 5 years minimum, like my old 4770k, and 8/16 seems like more future, if theres ever such thing anyways, and if the z490 has the chance support the pcie4.0, i guess ill take risk assuming the current situation, stocks are being cleared fast, people are panicking, oh dear.

ty.

A pure gaming rig, the 10600k is the way to go. I am not overly familiar with Discord's streaming options, though. I know OBS can make use of Nvidia's encoder. Whether Discord has this capability, or can work with OBS, I am unsure.

Well, I do agree that once I OC it, in the end of the day the difference between the 10600/10700 will be about 3% wich is within the error margin so none, but If im making any sense, and after much thought, I opted for the 10700k for a couple of reasons, one being the fact that intel "upped" the "max" memory frequency on that one to 2933, maybe thats a moot point because we've been using memories withe more mhz than that since DDR3, but I cant help but to feel the extra comfort since 3600 C16 will be my deal.

Then, those 2/4 cores..., I use my hardware up to its very last breath, while right now 6/12 is perfectly fine, Ive no plan to go 11 gen, and they're even "downgrading" the top tiers 11 gen to 8/16 anyways, so makes me feel like im future proof as it gets core wise.

theres the bigger cache, doesnt seem to impact anything now but the headroom also gives me extra comfort.

all in all, i dont want to make a completely senseless purchase like going overkill 10900k or using xeons for gaming, but since i got an extra buck... I feel like it justifies the 10700k