[SOLVED] what do you think to this gpu?

Solution
keep thinking about changing the thermal paste as it is an old card and i highly doubt anybody have changed it. just worried if it has pads, do you know if my gpu has pads? if they dont then i can change the thermal tomorrow as i have some mx4 already but no pads.

i dont play any demanding games at all, just a facebook game called star trek alien domain which i use mini client to open it. just done a quick test, gpu idle: 49 and 51 cpu idle: between 30 and 34. when i loaded up mini client to play star trek, this is the result. gpu: no change cpu: between 47 and 52. strange how it hasnt affected the gpu but the temp went up by nearly 25c on the cpu.

my power supply is 600w.
If you only run that game then keep it that way, you...
What will you be using them for? Please list the games/programs you have in mind.

The GTX 4xx series of cards is 11 years old. It will still work for cutting edge games, of 10 years ago, but won't do much of anything with today's games. It would even have difficulty with AAA titles from 5 years ago.
As far as SLI goes, you MAY be able to get 30% higher FPS, in AAA games from 5+ years ago, that support SLI, but I doubt you'd be able to even run those at acceptable framerates and high/ultra settings.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
What will you be using them for? Please list the games/programs you have in mind.

The GTX 4xx series of cards is 11 years old. It will still work for cutting edge games, of 10 years ago, but won't do much of anything with today's games. It would even have difficulty with AAA titles from 5 years ago.
As far as SLI goes, you MAY be able to get 30% higher FPS, in AAA games that support SLI, from 5+years ago, but I doubt you'd be able to even run those at acceptable framerates and high/ultra settings.
many thanks for the reply.

the only game i play is called star trek alien domain, a facebook game but i use mini client to play that though.

Never heard of it but I'm guessing it's not super stressful on GPUs. If that's the only reason you're thinking about getting another GTX 480 make absolutely sure the game fully supports SLI.
Also, remember your power supply. Another GPU will add to your total power draw. You'll need a PSU that can handle that.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Never heard of it but I'm guessing it's not super stressful on GPUs. If that's the only reason you're thinking about getting another GTX 480 make absolutely sure the game fully supports SLI.
Also, remember your power supply. Another GPU will add to your total power draw. You'll need a PSU that can handle that.
many thanks again,

i will just keep the ones i have for now,

thank you again

GPUs don't need their thermal paste changed unless you're having issues due to poor thermal paste/pad coverage from the manufacturer.
Of course, this is through the normal life of a GPU. Your GTX 480s (being very old by technology standards) may benefit from a thermal paste/pad refresh. I still wouldn't call it a necessity though.

If you do it, make sure you have the necessary paste and pads needed BEFORE you take your GPU apart.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
GPUs don't need their thermal paste changed unless you're having issues due to poor thermal paste/pad coverage from the manufacturer.
Of course, this is through the normal life of a GPU. Your GTX 480s (being very old by technology standards) may benefit from a thermal paste/pad refresh. I still wouldn't call it a necessity though.

If you do it, make sure you have the necessary paste and pads needed BEFORE you take your GPU apart.
as of this moment, gpu is hovering over 49 and 51 with about 15 tabs open (not sure if that makes any difference but just pointing that out) i just thought gpu should be about 40 on idle.

the fan speed is at %44

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
as of this moment, gpu is hovering over 49 and 51 with about 15 tabs open (not sure if that makes any difference but just pointing that out) i just thought gpu should be about 40 on idle.

the fan speed is at %44
Tabs or windows won't use GPU power unless there's 3D rendering on them.
Plus it's Fermi we're talking about here, while those temps at idle are pretty good those cards can get really hot when you play demanding games. Idle temps depend on room temperature but a repaste could help if the cards were unused for years.

What power supply are you using? You're going to need about 1000W to run SLI compatible games, I remember reading a single prototype card could draw well over 600W so nvidia had to limit them to "only" 450, real beasts for their time.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Tabs or windows won't use GPU power unless there's 3D rendering on them.
Plus it's Fermi we're talking about here, while those temps at idle are pretty good those cards can get really hot when you play demanding games. Idle temps depend on room temperature but a repaste could help if the cards were unused for years.

What power supply are you using? You're going to need about 1000W to run SLI compatible games, I remember reading a single prototype card could draw well over 600W so nvidia had to limit them to "only" 450, real beasts for their time.
keep thinking about changing the thermal paste as it is an old card and i highly doubt anybody have changed it. just worried if it has pads, do you know if my gpu has pads? if they dont then i can change the thermal tomorrow as i have some mx4 already but no pads.

i dont play any demanding games at all, just a facebook game called star trek alien domain which i use mini client to open it. just done a quick test, gpu idle: 49 and 51 cpu idle: between 30 and 34. when i loaded up mini client to play star trek, this is the result. gpu: no change cpu: between 47 and 52. strange how it hasnt affected the gpu but the temp went up by nearly 25c on the cpu.

my power supply is 600w.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021

my power supply is 600w.
If you only run that game then keep it that way, you can only run it with a single card btw.
If you still want to repaste it then it doesn't uses pads, but don't expect the temp to drop by 20C with just a repaste, those temps you have are fine for that particular card, the fan will ramp up after it hits 70C

Solution

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
If you only run that game then keep it that way, you can only run it with a single card btw.
If you still want to repaste it then it doesn't uses pads, but don't expect the temp to drop by 20C with just a repaste, those temps you have are fine for that particular card, the fan will ramp up after it hits 70C
i have already disabled sli so just using one gpu now.

im using msi afterburner to keep it the fan spinning at 44%.

dont think i will change the thermal paste ffor now.

Reactions: carocuore

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
when i was watching netflix last night, the gpu temp shot up to nearly 75c, what should the fan speed be?

That Graphics card was notoriously hot even back in 2010. Just leave it alone though. I doubt you'll make any progress by changing the paste or anything. Just let it run hot and keep the fans at stock speed. It's just a hot card. If you adjust the fans it'll sound like a jet. Trust me you don't want that. I had sli GTX 470's back in the day.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Old GTX 480s are generally selling for about $30-$50 on eBay. Some people are asking for more, but the ones that have actually sold have been mostly in this range. Given that it's a power-hungry card from a decade ago, miners aren't really interested in these.