What do you think

Pkai92

Respectable
Oct 20, 2016
Hey guys, which cpu fan do you recommend for intel core i7 6700 ( non-k ) ? I have an Asrock z170 extreme4 motherboard. I am not intending to overclock. I just need to change the stock cooler because of its noise. Thank You.

Solution
Regarding the Hyper 412, it is roughly the same size as the 212 Evo and 212X so, making an educated guess, it should perform roughly the same (with a few degrees). The Frio Silent 14 has a much smaller heatsink (and a fan that I can't vouch for) so it'll likely underperform compared to Coolermaster's offerings.

Kavinqt

Distinguished
how big of an overclock are you trying to do? overall for a average - higher overclock I'd recommend a Cryorig r1 Ultimate or Universal (the universal won't have any clearance problems with your ram) I personally don't suggest a AIO as I think they aren't the greatest for the cost and they can generally be pretty loud and the pump will eventually die as where a big heat sink won't ever die.

Since it's the non-K you won't need anything more than a Cryorig M9i or CoolerMaster Hyper 212X. These coolers are actually overkill, but as a result will not really make much noise since their fans won't have to spin up much.

If you're feeling a little more generous you could even go with passive cooling if you don't live inside a volcano, such as with a Prolimatech Megahalems. Assuming you have at least one case fan blowing in the general direction of the CPU, this would be enough.

You need a Z-series chipset if you want things like X.M.P., integrated RAID functionality, or even SLI. Overclocking isn't the only feature of the Z-series chipsets. Z-series boards can also often be found at comparable pricing to their H or B series counterparts, so I don't see any reason not to buy one, even with a locked chip.

Kavinqt

Distinguished

Yeah my bad, The only reason I said it wasn't the best buy was because I thought the board costed a bit more finding out its only $130 it's not bad like I thought.

That makes sense, so something simple should cool it cool. You don't need to spend a lot fo money to to keep it cool. You could go a Cryorig C7 (low profile) or a Hyper 212 as they are both under $35.

Not sure about that 412 or thermaltake, but I do here that the thermaltake is a good brand. However, I can personally vouch that the Hyper 212 really does keep it cool, as seen i my avatar.

Regarding the Hyper 412, it is roughly the same size as the 212 Evo and 212X so, making an educated guess, it should perform roughly the same (with a few degrees). The Frio Silent 14 has a much smaller heatsink (and a fan that I can't vouch for) so it'll likely underperform compared to Coolermaster's offerings.

Solution