Discussion What do you use to playback your video and audio files on Mac?

Whats your favorite player on Mac system?

• VLC player

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Quicktime player

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Perian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XBMC

• MPlayerX

• Plex

• Flip4Mac WMV

• Some other player

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
VLC is the best media playback program IMHO. Free, fast, light-weight, works with pretty much all media file formats, can sometimes even fix damaged media files, and so much more. Some other players can come close, but from what I've tried out myself, they won't beat VLC. On the few Macs that I've used, Quicktime was okay most of the time, but I still preferred VLC. I've only tried two or three others on Macs because I generally don't use Macs nearly as much as I use Windows or even Linux computers.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I love cross platform software because I can use it on many platforms. One app to learn for many OSes. I also like technically apt programs. VLC ticks both those boxes and has the benefit of being open source. :).

Prior to this, I used Quicktime, iTunes and DiVX player for Mac. I don't think all three combined play as many formats as VLC.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

That is true but they released it on cydia a while back but now I don't even see it any more.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Ahhh, have you tried it? I don't have an iDevice apart from my Powerbook and Macbook.

Also I agree with your sig, PowerPC is boss. Been rolling with my Powerbook 12" G4 since like forever, lol.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
well if you get the quick time pro upgrade you get a lot more as far as file conversion goes .. vlc player is also pretty good .. but i prefer quick time my self.. also flipformac can be pretty useful..

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

Yeah I've used VLC on iOS but for some reason they removed it from cydia :(

I always liked the G5's (PowerPC 970).

439px-Apple_PowerMac_G4_M8570_MDD_sideopen.jpg

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

Yeah and some people even modded them into ATX cases. Ahh G5, the pinnacle of Mac hardware, until those damn Intel CPUs came around and then Macs became just regular (sometimes overpriced) PCs....

That's when I started modifying too : )

Status
Not open for further replies.