what do your gpu custom fan curves look like?

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018
hello. I've recently built my pc and I'm trying to set up a custom fan curve for my graphics card. The default settings made the fans spin crazy loud so I didn't like it. I'm trying to keep my graphics card cool but at the same time having some sort of quietness. Suggestions?

Solution
Huh, looks almost exactly like the curves on my 660ti and 970. Go figure.

@Op. 60 isn't bad for a gpu under loads. But you will have certain mitigating factors. The most common being airflow in the case and to a lesser extent, ambient temps. If the pc is in a warm area, any airflow/case temps are going to be slightly higher since it's impossible to cool below ambient by mechanical means. So if it's 40° by the pc, your cpu/gpu are going to start out warm and loads will be slightly higher than normal. If you have lousy case airflow, the exhaust heat from the gpu isn't going to go anywhere in a hurry, so you end up with the fans blowing hot air over the heatsink, and loosing a good amount of thermal efficiency as a result.

So it might be...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, in that case you definitely have room to lower the fan speed and let it get a little hotter. Although I will mention that, from what I've read, Nvidia's GPU boost on pascal cards is very temperature sensitive meaning that if you card gets hotter (even if it's well within safe temps) it could reduce the boost clock a bit.

It's hard for someone to give you advice on what your fan curve should, as we don't know how loud your fans are or how sensitive you are to them. Just play around with it. One way to do it would be to sort of shift the whole curve over. So if the profile had a bend around 55 or 60 where it started to ramp up faster, move than point to 65-70 for example.

I use a 1060, and this is my fan curve of course I don't care how loud it is. it isn't in my bedroom.
v4E2KlD.png

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Huh, looks almost exactly like the curves on my 660ti and 970. Go figure.

@Op. 60 isn't bad for a gpu under loads. But you will have certain mitigating factors. The most common being airflow in the case and to a lesser extent, ambient temps. If the pc is in a warm area, any airflow/case temps are going to be slightly higher since it's impossible to cool below ambient by mechanical means. So if it's 40° by the pc, your cpu/gpu are going to start out warm and loads will be slightly higher than normal. If you have lousy case airflow, the exhaust heat from the gpu isn't going to go anywhere in a hurry, so you end up with the fans blowing hot air over the heatsink, and loosing a good amount of thermal efficiency as a result.

So it might be a combination of factors creating a hotspot around the gpu, but as The Paladin's curve shows, there's room to lower fan speeds and still get acceptable temps.

Solution