[SOLVED] What does '10/100' means on a lan port???

General Kenobi

Respectable
Sep 19, 2018
So i am deciding to get a new pci Ethernet card for my pc while browsing i came across cards with 10/100? I want to know what does that mean? I currently have 10mbps Ethernet connection will getting a 1 gigabit Ethernet card help me?? And my network wire/cable is an optical fibre if that's worth mentioning. And what should i keep in mind while shopping for a Ethernet cards?

kanewolf

Titan
So i am deciding to get a new pci Ethernet card for my pc while browsing i came across cards with 10/100? I want to know what does that mean? I currently have 10mbps Ethernet connection will getting a 1 gigabit Ethernet card help me?? And my network wire/cable is an optical fibre if that's worth mentioning. And what should i keep in mind while shopping for a Ethernet cards?
A 10/100 network card will work at 10Mbit or 100Mbit. It will not work at gigabit. A gigabit capable card would be a 10/100/1000.
If you have a 10Mbit WAN (ISP package) speed then no network card will change that.

Lutfij

Titan
What NIC are you working with right now? Care to share a link to the PCI Ethernet card you're looking at? If the NIC you're currently on is built into the motherboard, include the make and model of your motherboard.

General Kenobi

Respectable
Sep 19, 2018
What NIC are you working with right now? Care to share a link to the PCI Ethernet card you're looking at? If the NIC you're currently on is built into the motherboard, include the make and model of your motherboard.
I have GA-945gcm-s2l mobo it's network port is dead, so i am using a cheap $3 mini wifi card it's network chipset is 8188fu.
The one I'm thinking to buy

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
A 10/100 network card will work at 10Mbit or 100Mbit. It will not work at gigabit. A gigabit capable card would be a 10/100/1000.
If you have a 10Mbit WAN (ISP package) speed then no network card will change that.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS