[SOLVED] What does 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules mean? Gigabyte a520m S2H Motherboard

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
I don't know what all that means, but will i be able to use this ram link for example in dual channel mode? and by they way, it only has 2 ram slots and they are very close , i'm afraid fat rams won't fit next to each other, is there a reason to be afraid of that?

Solution
physical size is the same for all ram the same type. it'll all fit.

the 1r and 2r stands for single and double rank. this means there are ram chips on just one side or both sides of the stick.

in general the more ram sticks you put in, the slower the speed the mobo can support. but a single set of 2 sticks is rarely an issue. issues start to show up normally with 4 sticks.

what is the EXACT motherboard model you have? it's spec sheet will tell you if there are any limitations to worry about.
it will work just fine and it will fit .
your motherboard does support dual channel memory up to 3200MHz .
in some cases you need to go to the bios and activate XMP profile otherwise your RAM might run at 2133 or 2400MHz .
you just enable it and set it as XMP profile one in the bios .

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
it will work just fine and it will fit .
your motherboard does support dual channel memory up to 3200MHz .
in some cases you need to go to the bios and activate XMP profile otherwise your RAM might run at 2133 or 2400MHz .
you just enable it and set it as XMP profile one in the bios .
i though
1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16
had something to do with the RAM channels single or dual and their size, are you sure that i shouldn't worry about ram physical sizes in general? because some rams have thicker plastic and heatsinks around them than others

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

the 1r and 2r stands for single and double rank. this means there are ram chips on just one side or both sides of the stick.

in general the more ram sticks you put in, the slower the speed the mobo can support. but a single set of 2 sticks is rarely an issue. issues start to show up normally with 4 sticks.

what is the EXACT motherboard model you have? it's spec sheet will tell you if there are any limitations to worry about.

Solution

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Are you saying that all the RAMs are same size in terms of thickness, including the plastic covering the heatsinks? some don't event have extra plastic or heatsinks. Considering this motherboard Gigabyte a520m S2H has only 2 ram slots, they are very close to each other and i was afraid some rams would not fit ( they would rub or push each other ) from side to side

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no i am saying that all ran of the same type (ddr4, ddr5) will fit into the slot on the mobo. obviously some are taller than others and so on.

i've never seen a stick so fat though that it messes with the slot next to it. usually height is the only issue in case it hits the cpu cooler.

nothing to worry about as far as how fat they are.