Question What does CPU use for very large excel file sorting and computations?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I'm sorting a very large excel file with 7000 rows, conditional filters with colors, multiple ones.

It revs the CPU at 3.9 GHz (i5-8400 with 16 gigs of RAM) and it takes about 1-2 minutes to complete the sort.

What kind of power do I need for this type of task?

• Many threads?
  • Many cores?
  • Higher base core GHZ?

Would a ryzen 3800 x help with this kind of work?

https://pasteboard.co/IjEIwyw.png

Get process hacker which is a small free task manger clone with many more options,sort the tasks by CPU usage do your sort and double click on the excell ask to get a secon window go to the Threads tab there and see how many threads your sort uses,if it is one you need higher clocks if it uses so many threads that all your CPU gets used you would benefit from more cores.

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
Get process hacker which is a small free task manger clone with many more options,sort the tasks by CPU usage do your sort and double click on the excell ask to get a secon window go to the Threads tab there and see how many threads your sort uses,if it is one you need higher clocks if it uses so many threads that all your CPU gets used you would benefit from more cores.
I installed it, and it shows 2 CPU's at 16.5 and cycles data besides it at 2.8 million, have no clue how to read the numbers ! ;)

I installed it, and it shows 2 CPU's at 16.5 and cycles data besides it at 2.8 million, have no clue how to read the numbers ! ;)
16.5% is one core of your 6core CPU (6 divided by 1 is 16.66) so the task you are viewing is using two cores at 100% usage,the cycles delta is how many clocks the tasks used in average,so the where running this task at 2.8Ghz which is your base clock.
You should use intel extreme tuning utility and make a profile to boost two cores to as high as possible when running this excell sort.