[SOLVED] What does Enterprise mean with Motherboards?

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
As the title implies, does "Enterprise" mean anything special pertaining to motherboards? I see that term used when describing other PC components as well.

Solution
As I understand it, it means the same thing as kosher: "4x as expensive"

The manufacturer has designed it for and put it through extra qualification testing, for those non price-sensitive customers who demand such a thing at any price.

Other industries have something similar in a Professional tier (which is analogous to Xeon and EPYC) and a lower Prosumer one (like HEDT i9/Extreme or Threadripper/Ryzen Pro). It's just good-better-best by another name.
As I understand it, it means the same thing as kosher: "4x as expensive"

The manufacturer has designed it for and put it through extra qualification testing, for those non price-sensitive customers who demand such a thing at any price.

Other industries have something similar in a Professional tier (which is analogous to Xeon and EPYC) and a lower Prosumer one (like HEDT i9/Extreme or Threadripper/Ryzen Pro). It's just good-better-best by another name.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
As the title implies, does "Enterprise" mean anything special pertaining to motherboards? I see that term used when describing other PC components as well.
"Enterprise" is not generally a desktop term. On a server motherboard, it means things like a dedicated managment ethernet port and support for IPMI. It might mean support for redundant power supplies (although that is usually handled by the case). SAS disk interface instead of SATA would be another "enterprise" feature.