What does it cost me to run this

LUCKY7SON

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
does running a xbox one x and a 55 inch 4k tv for about 8 or 10 hours a day cost about $60 a month in hydro I’m asking because I’m trying to calculate what I actually use

To determine this, you would need to know how much your electricity costs per kilowatt-hour, which you should be able to find listed on the electric bill. The average cost in the US is around 13 cents per kWh, but that can vary quite a bit from one region to the next.

One would also need to know more details, like what is that console being used for during those 8-10 hours? Gaming the whole time? Playing movies? Something else? A One X can draw up to around 175 watts when gaming, but in most games I believe it tends to average under 150 watts, and in some less demanding titles not much more than 100 watts. While sitting idle or watching a movie, it's using around 60 watts, and only around 10 watts in standby.

If we were to assume it was only used for gaming, drawing around 150 watts (0.15 kilowatts) on average for 9 hours a day for 30 days a month, that works out to about 40 kWh, or a little over $5 at the average cost of electricity in the US. Add to that less than a dollar for the remaining 15 hours a day spent in standby, and you might be looking at around $6 per month for the console.

As for the television, that could vary quite a bit depending on the model of the TV, as some panel types can draw more power than others. I think generally a TV around that size would be using around 75 to 125 watts when in use though. So, probably a little less than the console, again assuming the console were only being used for gaming during that time. At the average cost of electricity in the US, I would expect the two devices combined wouldn't be drawing much more than $10 per month.

That could of course be a fair amount more in certain regions, or less in others, so again, you would want to check what the electricity costs on your bill. And you could get a more precise measurement of how much power the devices use over the course of a week or so by plugging them into something like a Kill-a-Watt electricity load meter.