What does it matter which PCI slot I use?

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I hear a bunch of talking about trying different PCI slots. What does that do? I have a vidio card that is PCI and it isnt getting very good performance. How do I know which clot is the best one?

misu

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
try pci slot 1, that's next to the AGP, top one, the one closest to the proc, it's called bus mastering and if the board knows it will work faster

Misu
__'_

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I dont have a AGP so I'll try the one closest to the CPU. I also was told to not allow IRQ sharing and it seems to be not as good as before should I put it back to sharing IRQ or IQR or whatever that is.

If it worked fine before you changed the IRQ sharing, then change it back. IRQs can be messy if you don't know what your doing. Think of all the things you use on your PC.
Mouse, keyboard, graphics, sound etc.
If they each have an IRQ this is fine. Some devices can share IRQs, but experimenting can cause major problems.
If it works, don't fix it.

Usually, the PCI slot nearest the centre of the mobo is slot 1. It can be worthwhile spacing cards out on the slots to allow ventilation.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I dont know what is other than its a gateway. PN 4000301. there web site and the manual that came with it just says intel integrated 440BX board. has 5 PCI 1 ISA no AGP. I got 192MB PC100 SDRAM and PII350MHz. I am going to build one soon sso I just about give up now on this and will deal with it for a little bit longer.