What does it mean when the PC wont beep?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chaimek1

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hello,
My 2 month old PC wont beep when it turns on. I checked to see if maybe the speaker wasn't in place anymore so I booted it up with no RAM and got a series of beeps.
I get no display on my monitor even though it was working fine until now.
So what does it mean when it doesn't beep??

Solution

You just said it right there. There's no signal being sent to the monitor. If you have a graphics card you might try a different video port if you monitor supports other ports like VGA, DVI, or HDMI. Also the cable might have gone out. You could try on your TV if it has the proper connections also. If it is the video card then see if your mobo has a intergrated video chip or perhaps you have a CPU with a GPU built into like called a APU.

chaimek1

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
so like you suggested I will buy a cheep graphics card and test that out but anyways 450 watt is cutting it pretty close so im going to get a new PSU.

chaimek1

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

You know that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and hoping that it will now work. Coincidentally, that is also the definition of troubleshooting.
Well, the pc works!!!! I was planning on taking it to MicroCenter tomorrow but I decided to have one more shot at it. I plugged everything out of the PSU and re-plugged and I also took out the ram and put it back in. I turned it on and it beeps!!
Thank you so much for helping me get through this very scary experience!!!!