What does it mean when...

Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
The display on a moitor is falling or drooping off on the sides? On my monitor at home it just does it on one side. The whole display just kinda falls down to the right. Right now I'm at school and it's doing it on both sides. It makes kinda like an arc. The display settings don't phase it....it just looks like the sides are dropping off. I hope I explained it good enough. There's probably a term for it but I don't know what it is. What is the cause of this?

AMD Athlon XP 1900+, Asus A7V333, 512mb DDR RAM
PNY Geforce4 Ti4400, WinXP Pro

Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Aw c'mon Jim, surely you know this one. I've talked to others who said they've seen it before but they don't know what it is.

AMD Athlon XP 1900+, Asus A7V333, 512mb DDR RAM
PNY Geforce4 Ti4400, WinXP Pro

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Geometric Distortion like you describe is almost always a function of the deflection circuitry and the yoke design or alignment at the factory.

Controlling the side pincushion is relatively easy, this is why all monitors have side pincushion, trapezoid controls. Top and bottom geometric distortion is another matter. Top and bottom distortion is a function of the deflection yoke design and how it is mated and aligned to the CRT during assembly. There is no simple way to adjust top and bottom geometric distortion.

Magnetic interference can also cause distortion or tilted images. Even the earth’s magnetic field can cause this phenomenon. For example: Some manufacturers have two different types of the same model depending on where in the world it gets shipped, primarily northern or southern hemisphere.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>