[SOLVED] What does it mean when...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
What does it mean when an old CPU (Phenom II X6 1090T) runs fine on three different boards, can run Prime95 all day with no problems, and never gets hot.
But... when running Intel Burn Test for only a few early passes on default settings, it freezes the machine on two boards and black-screens & freezes the machine on the other.
I suppose the obvious conclusion is that the CPU is defective. But why the near instant fail with IBT, while never failing with Prime95?

I have verified the memory in all 3 boards is stable. No OC involved. All machines running fresh installs of W10.

Solution
Check the CPU for a loose pin would be my first thought. Maybe one of the solder points broke loose inside? I assume you'd know if there was a bent pin as you're about as veteran as it gets around here.

What version, and what test, of Prime95 was it running without any problems? Maybe it's an instruction problem? IDK, seems like I recall some of those older Phenoms not being able to run some of the instruction sets used on IBT and Realbench, related to a different kind of 64 bit support that is not the same between older Windows versions and current ones. Probably not relevant but worth thinking about I guess.

I'm with you that if the problem happens on three different boards, and the memory tests fine in Memtest86, then it has to be...
Check the CPU for a loose pin would be my first thought. Maybe one of the solder points broke loose inside? I assume you'd know if there was a bent pin as you're about as veteran as it gets around here.

What version, and what test, of Prime95 was it running without any problems? Maybe it's an instruction problem? IDK, seems like I recall some of those older Phenoms not being able to run some of the instruction sets used on IBT and Realbench, related to a different kind of 64 bit support that is not the same between older Windows versions and current ones. Probably not relevant but worth thinking about I guess.

I'm with you that if the problem happens on three different boards, and the memory tests fine in Memtest86, then it has to be related to the CPU. Nothing else it could really be if you're using a mostly bare bones configuration.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, I'll check the pins when I remove the CPU again. Good point. One or two of them were slightly bent so the CPU wouldn't seat, and I straightened them. But never noticed if one was broke off. I'll check.

I've run IBT on a whole lot of old Athlon and Phenom IIs over the years. Never had any problem passing the default runs if the CPU was still at stock clocks. But I never ran RealBench before.

Oh, well if you had some bent pins, that makes it even more possibly there might be a problem with one of them up inside where you can't see it. You may be able to tell if one is loose though. Really weird problem actually, something you don't see too often especially given the symptoms of mostly normal operation except in specific circumstances.