[SOLVED] What does it take to get (my) 9900k to 5Ghz boost on stock

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Hey guys,
The 9900k should be capable to reach 5Ghz on one or two cores when in stock. I am using Z390 Aorus master board and temps are pretty good.
My 9900k can get to 4.9Ghz with ease (checking in HWMonitor) but never seem to touch 5Ghz no matter what I do, be it a light desktop / internet operation or more heavy gaming / benchmarking.
I always keep HWMonitor open to see the max frequency but it always being maxed out at 4.9.

what does it take to get it to 5Ghz? I want to SEE the 5Ghz.
And please don't tell me to overclock cause I know all about overclocking, But I really don't want to overclock my 9900k, I just want to know why it can't reach 5Ghz with stock boost.
Thx.

Solution
Hi all,
just to let you know that the reason the CPU didn't reach its full turbo speed was because too many programs were running in the background. and the worst of all was Gigabyte's App center with RGB fusion and SIV.. I reinstalled windows and did a minimal install this time, I even disabled some background windows services and processes. Now my 9900k show 4.9 and 5ghz with no problem in HWmonitor :)

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Without overclocking the likelihood of you actually seeing 5.0ghz is slim. The second you step over 2 cores being used your Turbo drops to 4.8GHZ. The other likely issue is one of your clock generators is off by a hair. So you get something like 4.98ghz (4.95 4.99 etc). This is a common rounding issue you see. Depending how I check my speeds i get anywhere from 4.2GHZ to 4.19ghz.

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017

So I guess that windows scheduler always push more than 2 cores at the same time? with all the background processes I mean..
From my experience even trying to run single threaded benchmarks (like cinebench single core) won't work.
So I wonder how others get to 5Ghz in stock mode, like many Youtubers etc'.

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017

Like i said, temps are fine.. high 20's - 30's on idle and 70 - 75 max temp in cinebench full load (all cores). I'm using noctua D-15. It's not a temp issue for sure.
Any ideas?

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
anyone? I trying to figure out what's "wrong" here..cause the cpu should definitely get to 5ghz with 1 or 2 cores active. I doubt that 100% of the time windows is using 3 or more cores that the CPU doesn't have the chance to get to 5 ghz at all. any ideas? and like I said, 4.9 is easily achieved.

I would appreciate any site about this from people with knowledge and experience with the 9900k.
Thx.

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

1: Do you have the latest bios version?
2: Check on how many cores do you have a multiplier of 49 that you're getting. Most probably the latest cores in the list 6-7-8 are set to 49 and that's the reason that you're getting 4900mhz.
3: If you already did all of the above, try setting 50 on all cores in the Intel Turbo Boost in the Bios and see if you will get the result you're looking for. Even if you get it, I strongly recommend overclocking since you will hit lower voltages than the Auto setting of the motherboard, that you're using.

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Hi all,
just to let you know that the reason the CPU didn't reach its full turbo speed was because too many programs were running in the background. and the worst of all was Gigabyte's App center with RGB fusion and SIV.. I reinstalled windows and did a minimal install this time, I even disabled some background windows services and processes. Now my 9900k show 4.9 and 5ghz with no problem in HWmonitor :)

Solution