[SOLVED] What does "Loudness Equalization" do and if I use it what should I set its Release Time setting to?

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
The Properties Enhancement tab says "Loudness Equalization uses understanding of human hearing to reduce perceived volume differences, (can someone explain to me what this means exactly?) I have tried using my headphones with and without it on and I just notice volume changes but I've never examined if it had any ill effects (like music being played inaccurately) and if I do enable it in the Loudness Equalization Settings it gives a scroll bar titled "Release Time" and it goes between long and short what does this release time setting mean? (Sorry I know I must sound silly asking such a question.)

And by the way, my Windows version is Windows Home 64-bit 10.0.19042 Build 19042 if that matters.

Solution
Loudness EQ just balances out low and high volume elements to a balanced medium. Example, softening loud sudden gun shots so it's not hard on the ears whilst increasing low level audio sounds like foot steps. This depends on the game because some titles have sporadic sound levels and also how loud your headphones are set to as well . Release time means how quickly the changes are made and would have it set to short so audio processing time is minimised.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Loudness EQ just balances out low and high volume elements to a balanced medium. Example, softening loud sudden gun shots so it's not hard on the ears whilst increasing low level audio sounds like foot steps. This depends on the game because some titles have sporadic sound levels and also how loud your headphones are set to as well . Release time means how quickly the changes are made and would have it set to short so audio processing time is minimised.

Reactions: kaishlothon
Solution
Loudness EQ tries to keep all audio around a defined range of low/high, in order to not have jarring differences in volume.

The downside is that audio dynamic range takes a hit, for somewhat obvious reasons. I've never bothered with it, though it could be a little useful when web surfing to keep all those auto-ads from blasting you.

Reactions: kaishlothon

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
Thanks that clears it up a lot.