What does Max shared Memory mean in relation to graphics support.

omaralzoubi200

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Hey just a quick question. What does max shared memory mean in relation to supporting graphics card. I'm looking at a motherboard that supports a max of 1760MB shared memory, but I am buying a graphics card with 2gb memory. Does this mean that they will not be compatable? Or something else. Thanks.
More about : max shared memory relation graphic

Solution
It means that should your application(s) require more than the available 2GB or VRAM available on your graphics card, the motherboard has a limitation of only an additional 1760MB of system RAM that is available to be shared with the graphics card to handle the need for additional graphics memory.

Application needs 3.7GB of VRAM
Graphics Card has 2.0GB of VRAM
System has 8GB of RAM
Motherboard allows up to 1.7GB of system RAM as VRAM.
In this scenario, you're fine. Your system has enough memory to handle the application.

Application needs 5.7GB of VRAM
System has 8GB of RAM
In this scenario, your system will start using hard drive space as additional...

Wolfshadw

Titan
It means that should your application(s) require more than the available 2GB or VRAM available on your graphics card, the motherboard has a limitation of only an additional 1760MB of system RAM that is available to be shared with the graphics card to handle the need for additional graphics memory.

Application needs 3.7GB of VRAM
System has 8GB of RAM
In this scenario, you're fine. Your system has enough memory to handle the application.

Application needs 5.7GB of VRAM
System has 8GB of RAM
In this scenario, your system will start using hard drive space as additional memory (swap file)

-Wolf sends

Solution

So, if the apllication takes the extra space from SSD/M.2 drives as memory will it be fast as SSDs/M.2 drives are faster than HDDs (but still slower than VRAM/RAM though)? Will I face any lags/stutters in the game?

TRENDING THREADS