Question What does my PC need to be able to run six monitors?

andrewgodfrey95

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
I want to upgrade my setup to six monitors. It's currently running on very smoothly with 3, but I just want to make sure that it doesn't cause any problems. My graphics card only has three slots, VGA, HDMI, and DP plugins. If i use something like this is it going to burn out my graphics card or something. This build is also 2 years old so it might be time for an upgrade for some parts.

Specs:

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz

Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co. Ltd B350 TOMAHAWK (MS-7A34) (AM4)

Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Gigabyte)

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
that adapter will only duplicate screens. it does not enable another discrete screen to be used. what one displays the other will too and so there is no strain on the GPU, if that would work on your card, which it will not.

what make and model GPU do you have? this one
775481-761959-800.jpg

the 10xx series dropped the Digital to Analogue converters from the cards and none of the 10xx series cards I know of have a VGA port, VGA is analogue and the card is digital only. that is DVI-D, HDMI, and DP.

Why do you want 6 monitors?
To do that, you will need to buy a second graphics card with the appropriate outputs.
It probably does not need to be as strong as a GTX1050ti.

If I might speculate, this could be for a trading system needing a lot of monitors.
Consider buying a single large 4k monitor to which you can send the equivalent of 4 smaller windows.

Reactions: bfcallan

andrewgodfrey95

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Why do you want 6 monitors?
To do that, you will need to buy a second graphics card with the appropriate outputs.
It probably does not need to be as strong as a GTX1050ti.

If I might speculate, this could be for a trading system needing a lot of monitors.
Consider buying a single large 4k monitor to which you can send the equivalent of 4 smaller windows.
Is their a smaller less powerful graphics card that I can fit into one of the smaller PCIe slots on my motherboard than can run the three other monitors where i can do less powerful stuff like reddit and youtube videos?

I just want to be able to have different webpages, music, youtube or hulu going on the three new monitors while doing gaming stuff on the other ones. I usually have a ton of webpages open and different programs running at the same time. It would just make multitasking easier. It's purely for leisure

andrewgodfrey95

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
stick with 1 thread
I asked this question yesterday, but after doing a little more research I think figured out how to refine my question to get to what I'm really trying to find out.

How can I add three more monitors to my setup with my current motherboard? I have three monitors running of my graphics card, but that's the limit. I want to add a smaller low profile video card or something similar so I can use my new three monitors (haven't bought them yet) for stuff like reddit, imdb, wiki, watching youtube and hulu, more basic stuff. Can I add a card like this to my motherboard to run the new monitors and leave stuff like gaming and editing to the old monitors and the better graphics card? Can I put of them together on the same motherboard? This is the idea for what I want it to look like in the end. Thanks for any advice.

With 8gb of ram, you are not going to do a lot of multitasking.

What monitors do you currently own?
What inputs can they use?
Is one of them used for gaming? Is gaming adequate on a GTX1050ti?

For the most part, any modern discrete graphics card will display movies adequately.

Do you have a budget for monitors?
Do you have the desk space for 6 monitors, or, can you use wall mounts?

The simplest solution is to use a 40" 4k monitor on which you can have the equivalent of 4 1080P monitors.

andrewgodfrey95

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
With 8gb of ram, you are not going to do a lot of multitasking.

What monitors do you currently own?
What inputs can they use?
Is one of them used for gaming? Is gaming adequate on a GTX1050ti?

For the most part, any modern discrete graphics card will display movies adequately.

Do you have a budget for monitors?
Do you have the desk space for 6 monitors, or, can you use wall mounts?

The simplest solution is to use a 40" 4k monitor on which you can have the equivalent of 4 1080P monitors.
I've had this setup for two years and have done a ton of multitasking with 8gb of ram. Ive never had a problem with it. Will adding another smaller graphics cards effect that?

I have three of these monitors and want to add three more.
They can use VGA and Display Port inputs.
I can game on any of the monitors. Every game I've tried using GTX1050ti has run smooth enough for me to not notice any problems at all.
I definitely have the budget for three monitors and want to use a desk mount monitor stand for them. I don't want to use a 4k 40' monitor because I can't mount it over the monitors i have.

My biggest question now is what kind of low profile video card will let me browse the web on three new screens while I game on the ones already in place on the same motherboard without any problems.