What does "No boot device available mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowwhite101

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello,
I just went to turn on my computer and get the following message:
No boot device available -
Broadcam UNDI PXE-2.1 (build 082) v7.0.3
Copyright (c) 2003 Broadcam Corporation
Copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

Intel Base-Code, PXE 2.1 (built 082j)
Copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcam PXE ROM.

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.

This is the first time it's ever done this and any help is much appreceiated. Thank you!

michael_92

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
hello,

this either means that there's no operating system avaiblable for the pc to boot from, or your hard drive is not connected.
try re-installing your pc, if that doesn't help you might want to take it back to the store you've bought it from. seeins as how opening a laptop and doing repairs yourself is a very bad idea.

hope this helped,

Damorian

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
well Frozenlead I actually agree with Michael here.
You are right that opening a laptop and checking its hdd connection is quite easy, however for someone that doesnt know what ' no boot device' meens it sounds like not suchs a good idea, especially if there is no knowledge about warrantee.

"Booting" is starting software from a device after the computer has checked itself.
A " device" is usually a Harddrive but could also be a cd/dvd-player, floppy or even USb sticks etc.

So " no boot device" meens that your computer cannot find anything connected to start software from.

I take it that before you computer used to work and all of a sudden it gave you this message. In this case probaply something (a virus, mallware or just crappy software) did something to your hdd which screwed up your Operating System (Probaply windows, which is the thing which connects your actions with the output of the hardware.)
If this is the case then your options would be a recovery (Which you need a "windows (recovery) cd" for) or, like michael said, a complete new install of the operating system (Which you need the windows cd for).

However before you do this I suggest you follow Frozenlead's advice and check your HDD cable, the chance of a cable all of a sudden getting loose might be small but its easy to check.
To check this go into your 'Bios' by pressing either f1, f2, f8, del or esc on startup (it will most likely tell you which one in the black-and-white-screen.)
Once you are in the bios (a blue and white screen usually) you will have to look for something that says " devices", " Ide devices", " Sata devices" or something like that and see if it recognises atleast 2 things (your HDD and your cd/dvd)
If it only sees one then open up your computer and check the two cables comming from the device which is most likely located just below your cd/dvd. (Dont do this if you are talking about a laptop, then first check the warrantee and just send it in if its still under warrantee)

If everything is connected properly and your computer wont boot (start) from either your harddisk or your windows CD then its time to check your warranty and send it to the place you bought it.

I know its allot of information and it might be explained too detailed or not detailed enough but I hope it helps, if it doesnt dont hesitate to make another post here.

xtreme5

Distinguished
No need to sending it anywhere just get access into the BIOS see below the option called MANTAINANCE, once you select it there are two options (load default, event logs) now select load default option and click continue restart the pc and you will never get that error again i've solved this two time by applying this method and it's work for me...
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.