[SOLVED] What does nVME (Sata) slot mean in a manual?

May 1, 2020
I was going to get an another SSD for my laptop, i know it has two slots for the M.2 stick SSD's but i checked the manual to be sure and it says one of the slots is named NVMe (Sata) instead of just NVMe.

Is there something i'm missing ? Can't something like Samsung's 860 M.2 SSD fit there? Do i need a specific one?

Solution
Right, so i should be fine with it functioning with any type of M.2 SSD that i get right?

I'm completely new to those multiple diffrent types of M.2 SSD's, gets a little confusing at first with no first hand experience, the one that came pre installed was a 256 GB PCI Express for example, i think those are significantly faster than the SATA ones since those are limited to 6 gbps.
Any type? Maybe.
The wording of "NVMe (Sata) " is a bit confusing.
But if it came with a 256GB PCIe drive initially, thn tht is what you replace it with, for a larger drive.

Samsung 970 EVO, Crucial P1, Intel 660p, for instance.
May 1, 2020
Ahh, so one slot can support both an M.2 NVMe and M.2 Sata right?

Either.
1 drive of either type, not 2 drives.

Right, so as far as i understand i should be fine with it functioning with any type of M.2 SSD that i get or do i have to go with an M.2 SATA?

I'm completely new to those multiple diffrent types of M.2 SSD's, gets a little confusing at first with no first hand experience, the one that came pre installed was a 256 GB PCI Express for example, i think those are significantly faster than the SATA ones since those are limited to 6 gbps.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Right, so i should be fine with it functioning with any type of M.2 SSD that i get right?

Any type? Maybe.
But if it came with a 256GB PCIe drive initially, thn tht is what you replace it with, for a larger drive.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
May 1, 2020
Any type? Maybe.

Yeah it sure is confusing, but looking around i think it is just a slot that supports NVMe and SATA SSD's like you said.

Also, i will not be replacing it, i'm going to use the secondary slot that is right next to the other SSD.

The laptop came with two slots for M.2's, that's where most of the confusion came from anyway, it saying one is a (SATA) slot made me think it has some sort of diffrent pin connection thing since some M.2's have a 3 forked thing while others have two.

I think i'll ask the manufacturer too, to be sure before i do end up buying either the 970 or 660P.

Thanks for your help and recommendations man, appreciate it.