what does PC stands for in the memory speed?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
PC in DDR RAM stands for the bandwidth. For example, PC2100 means 2100MB/s bandwidth.

In RDRAM, it's basically its speed. For SDRAM, it's the same.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

eden

Champion
Yeah but what does PC stand for, that's what the poster wanted to know. I also was about to post such a question!

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
ummmmmmmmmmm miss cleo says "performance chunk.. or chip" lol.. i don't know. Personal computing RAM?

Does anyone know? Very curious.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Er, 133MHz for Personal Computer (the SDRAM part is understood, as there was no EDO at that speed).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I guess 60ns EDO wasn't meant for Personal Computers then!
:smile:

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, EDO was called EDO beffore it was used in PC's. PCx standards were named before the memory was created.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Just to back up the Crashman...(Crash, Thanks for looking into that stuff for me.)

PC100 is not the technical term for the memory type.

PC66, PC100, PC133, PC150, etc. are all forms of Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory. (SDRAM)

EDO is Extended Data Out Dynamic Access Memory.

FPS is Fast Page Mode Dynamic Access Memory.

I don't know where the PC came from other than from Intel. PC100 was a specification they created so memory manufactures could make modules for the i440BX and used a 100MHz bus. Jedec created the PC66 standard and Intel created the PC100 standard.

So if you want to know what the PC stands for ask someone at Intel.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Actually, I don't give a rat's ... where PC came from! They could have called it GOOFY100 and GOOFY133 as far as I'm concerned!
While DDR actually means something related to the RAM, PC doesn't seem to.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I did not mean to offend. Sorry.

All I am saying is that I have no idea where to find the origin of the "PC" in PC66, etc.

As for DDR, that is the technical name. It also uses the "Street name" of PC2100, PC2700, Etc. The Technical name is DDR200, DDR266, etc.

That is because it is <b>Double Data Rate</b> Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory.

So where the street name came from... ??? Who knows. All I know is where the technical standards came from and why they call things they way they do.

Again, I meant no harm.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
No, no, you got me wrong!
I wasn't offended at all.
I know all those things already.
I was under the impression you tried to explained to me the origins of PC. I didn't started this thread and I couldn't care less where PC comes from.
My last post was in no way intended to respond to you in an agressive manner. I said it before and I'll say it again, writings are very inefficient when it comes to tone rendering.
I'm sorry if you construed my last comments as an attack, it really wasn't :wink:

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
DDR=double data rate

PC400 .. the 400 refers to the Mhz rating.....

since DDR is double data rate, PC400 is essentially running at 800Mhz so to say ....

as for PC, who knows,

eden

Champion
You're wrong dude, when you show PC266, you are referring to the fake-DDR result. PC400 means 400MHZ DDR, as in 200MHZ*2.
Therefore PC266 does not mean it runs at 533MHZ.

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
yea, sorry....i just re-read what i wrote...sorry....wouldnt make sense when i always read people saying they cant get their DDR400 memory past 165Mhz sometimes ....lol

utcomputerboy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
Its a marketing term. Meant to get rid of "confusing" terms we us all the time. The average person understands Personal Computer (PC). So its easy for them to upgrade. There is a lot of different volitile and non-volitile memory, PLA, FPLA, ram, rom, prom, eprom, eeprom, flash. You get the point. Its PC because it is the standard used in the PC. Convince your mom that she wants sdram at 100mhz instead of PC100. You might get half way through before she gives up.

blyzzard

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
PC in the PC Rating stands for Pipeline Clock. If you dont know what the Clock or the Pipeline are then checkout the wikipedia SDRAM entry located here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDRAM Basically the Clock is the signal used to coordinate 2 or more signals and the Pipeline is the set of data processing elements connected in series, so that the output of one element is the input of the next one. So the PC or Pipeline clock refers to how fast those signals can relay the data to be processed, its usually relative to the bus speed.
Blyzzard
Dotcom

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
It's simply another designation for the DRAM PC as mentioned above the 3 (for DDR3, 2 for DDR2) the the number itself is the theoretical number of M/Ts (Mega Transfers per second the DRAM is capable of) (Think of of M/Ts as roughly MB (megabytes) per second) - hence PC3 17000 is 2133 DRAM capable of 17000 M/Ts

ruckb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Hello,
the naming of the DIMMs is somehow defined by JEDEC (as the spec is also defined from this group).
I have to admit, even participating in the specificaiton I don't remember what the PC stands for :-( ...
But my guess it is really Personal Computer as name for a class of PC's which includes Desktop, Laptop, Server and Workstations that can use this type of memory.
There are other modules specifiec that area e. g. called EP2 (32bit DDR2 SO-DIMMs), or EP3 (72bit DDR3 SO-DIMM). In this case the EP is not used consistently accross the memory generations, but it was ment to stand for "Embedded Product". These just have different requriements as PC's

On the JEDEC website one can download the accurate naming convention scheme (free registration required).:
http://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/docs/pr-n09-nm1
This explains the full DDR3 (PC3 ..) naming convention that can be on a DIMM Label:
ggggg eRxff PC3v-wwwwwm-aa-bb-ccd

But if you take a look this document is already from 2009 .. .So either it did not requrie and update or JEDEC does this kind of naming specifications not really with a high priority ;-)

Best regards

Hermann

Upcoming Events:
=================
"Open the Black Box of Memory"
What you always wanted to know about Memory!
.. But never had the right expert to ask!
September 24./25. 2015 in Copenhagen
vist www.EyeKnowHow.de/en/seminars/

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer
www.EyeKnowHow.de

TRENDING THREADS