What does the blue ram slot mean in 4 slot ram?

francisnicolas622

Reputable
Oct 19, 2017
I have a m3a770de motherboard and theres a 4 ram slot which the 2 of the ram slot is in different color what does this mean?
Maybe this can mix a different mhz ram? I have a 4gb 1333mhz maybe i could mix it with 1600mhz in the colored blue ram slot i dont really know what is it or its just in a different color?

Tnx in advance.

Solution
The slots are different colors for Dual Channel Memory. they usually alternate - black blue black blue.
If you have 2 RAM sticks always be sure they are in the same colored slots.
Don't put one in black and one in blue.

Never mix frequencies of RAM. That's how I killed a motherboard.
Always make sure each RAM stick is exactly precisely the same, preferably bought at the same time as a kit.

100% wrong.

From the manual: "For dual channel configuration, you always need to install identical (the same brand, speed, size and chip-type) DDR3 DIMM pair in the slots of the same color."

So, if you're going to install two sticks of IDENTICAL RAM, you will need to install them in the blue slots or the white slots.

o8arlx.jpg

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
The slots are different colors for Dual Channel Memory. they usually alternate - black blue black blue.
If you have 2 RAM sticks always be sure they are in the same colored slots.
Don't put one in black and one in blue.

Never mix frequencies of RAM. That's how I killed a motherboard.
Always make sure each RAM stick is exactly precisely the same, preferably bought at the same time as a kit.

Solution
Memory manufacturers guarantee memory in the form it is sold in and not by matching up identical part numbers. There is no guarantee two identical memory modules sold separately will work together or how they will work.

Mixing memory is not guaranteed to work but nothing is stopping you from doing your own compatibility testing.

Workarounds for getting extra memory to work:
Lower memory frequency
Relax DRAM timings
Increase DRAM voltage
Lower CPU multiplier

francisnicolas622

Reputable
Oct 19, 2017