What does the fill remaining video memory setting do?

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
I've noticed that a handful of my games have a setting called "fill remaining video memory" or something along those lines. I assume It's talking about the cards VRAM. What does it do exactly? Should i enable it? Or should i keep it disabled? To me, filling up memory completely, whether it'd be HDD,SSD RAM, or VRAM seems like a bad idea. Also, my computer is full SSD, there are no HDD's in my system, both internal or external. So with that said, should i consider using this setting? Thanks!

Solution
it really depends on your hardware and the performance that you are getting with a given game. if it gives you better performance then use it if not don't worry about it. it is referring to the video memory as you inquired about above, whether it's full or not really isn't as important as the experience you are getting. sometimes it will prevent stuttering, sometimes not so much
it really depends on your hardware and the performance that you are getting with a given game. if it gives you better performance then use it if not don't worry about it. it is referring to the video memory as you inquired about above, whether it's full or not really isn't as important as the experience you are getting. sometimes it will prevent stuttering, sometimes not so much

Solution

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Okay, I'll experiment with the setting and see if I get better performance. Thanks!