[SOLVED] What does the on/off switch on a surge protector do ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Is it the same as plugging/unplugging the surge protector ?

If i set the switch to off, am i 100% safe from surges etc ? Or is there a chance the surge will pass through and damage my equipment ?

Solution
What are the chances of that happening though ? Sounds almost impossible...
What are the "chances" of a lightning strike directly on your house or yard?

Small....tiny....'almost impossible.

A couple of years ago, I had a nearby lightning strike.
Among the things that were killed...one very strange outcome.

A battery powered laser level, upstairs in the center of the room.
It was OFF, had not been used in a couple of weeks.

I went upstairs later after the strike, and it was ON.
Apparently enough static or whatever through the air triggered it ON.

The "chance" of that happening is vanishingly small.
Yet it CAN happen.

USAFRet

Titan
What are the chances of that happening though ? Sounds almost impossible...
What are the "chances" of a lightning strike directly on your house or yard?

Small....tiny....'almost impossible.

A couple of years ago, I had a nearby lightning strike.
Among the things that were killed...one very strange outcome.

A battery powered laser level, upstairs in the center of the room.
It was OFF, had not been used in a couple of weeks.

I went upstairs later after the strike, and it was ON.
Apparently enough static or whatever through the air triggered it ON.

The "chance" of that happening is vanishingly small.
Yet it CAN happen.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
And your devices are still fully protected from surge (assumed that the surge protector is properly grounded).
Well....

From my aforementioned strike:
multiple devices, on 2 different good quality UPS (CyberPower and TrippLite)

Things that were killed:
UPS 1:
PC ethernet port

UPS 2:
Printer ethernet port
Denon AVR HDMI x 2

TV and HTPC connected to that Denon, not affected.

PC and printer connected through 2x switches and the router, so no direct connection.

Electriicity finds a way.

Well....

From my aforementioned strike:
multiple devices, on 2 different good quality UPS (CyberPower and TrippLite)

Things that were killed:
UPS 1:
PC ethernet port

UPS 2:
Printer ethernet port
Denon AVR HDMI x 2

TV and HTPC connected to that Denon, not affected.

PC and printer connected through 2x switches and the router, so no direct connection.

Electriicity finds a way.

It could happen in case of a lightning strike and if the power lines are exposed.

Maxsupertweaker

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Is it the same as plugging/unplugging the surge protector ?

If i set the switch to off, am i 100% safe from surges etc ? Or is there a chance the surge will pass through and damage my equipment ?

Nothing is 100% certain except for death and taxes. Are you sure it's a Surge Protector or just a multiple plug-in device for several components. A Surge Protector will have an ON/OFF button to kill electricity flowing from it when you are working on a device. It will also have a Master Button that pops-out if a surge of electricty happens to find your office/home electrical wires. I have had lightening strike close to home (about 500 feet) and the home's electrical box had two protectors tripped from that lightning strike.

There are several ways there can be surge of electricity that wants to go through your wall outlet where the Surge Protector is plugged in. Having said that, have a heavy duty Surge Protector is a must-have for our expensive electronic devices.

I go one step further. I use an APS (auxiliary power supply) which acts as both a Surge Protector and a Power Backup, so during an outage I can properly power-off several devices plugged into it. I highly recommend a Power Backup for any computer enthusiast.

This is similar to mine. It's about $250.00 and is now 12 years old. The device starts beeping when it's batteries no longer charge. I've only had to change my twice in 12 years. The battery packs are about $75.00 each.

You can buy a much less expensive Power Backup unit about $40.00 if you're using it to solely backup your computer.

u3ZeTJQ.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cj-tech

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
The ONLY safe way (for you) to completely ensure any device (and anything plugged into it) is 100% protected from a surge is to unplug everything from the wall sockets, period. This includes cable tv/internet boxes & modems, routers, switches, etc...

Unless of course you are a licensed electrician that works for the power company & know how (and have the proper equipment) to disconnect your main power feed from the street pole, but lets not go there.....hehehe :D

D

Deleted member 14196

Use Tripp Lite Isobar surge protector. It’s guaranteed up to $50,000 whatever is plugged into it if it gets Fried by lightning

It does have an off switch but you’re protected whether it’s an or off

Tripp Lite ISOBAR8ULTRA Isobar 8 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 12ft Cord, Right-Angle Plug, Metal Lifetime Limited Warranty & Dollar 50,000 Insurance White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000511U7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_15S215J40H5NQ3TMEJEY

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Could be a master switch.

In this case I think that the switch is there for convenience, you don't have to pull the plug out every time.

And your devices are still fully protected from surge (assumed that the surge protector is properly grounded).

After checking again , now i see that it is an off/reset switch...

Should i unplug my surge protector or setting it to off is enough ?

A while ago, we had an electrical storm.
All was connected via a APC UPS.
A klipsch amplifier was toast as well as a TV. a second monitor was ok and the pc and other peripherals were ok.
I sent the amp board out to a guy that does such repairs and he explained.
Even with surge protection, the right kind of electrical event can bypass all.
Surge protectors work by directing the surge to ground.
If that does not work, they self destruct.
He suggested that I use a surge x device like this connected to the wall in front of my UPS:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SA82--surgex-flatpak-sa82
Yes, it is expensive.
In the event of a surge, it can be reset.