[SOLVED] What does thermal monitoring technology do?

Wouwou

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Just a quick question
I have a cpu which is a (x3450) And just curious what does "Thermal monitoring tech" do, Because my cpu from gathering research (Intel websites In the Package specification tab) Doesn't have it And scared if maybe it'll run too hot and not thermal throttle.
So would it run too hot or thermal throttle?

temps are somewhat reasonable in the winter: below 70c
But in the summer: above 70c

Cpu: x3450
Lga 1156
With a Ice edge mini fs v2.0 Cooler
Motherboard: Iona gl8e Or HP MS-7613

I don't know where to post this, Cpu thread or cooling thread sorry

For now I'll keep the max processor state lower

Edit: I am a dum dum the cooler is rated for 65w tdp cpu :p But will it thermal throttle?

Last edited:
Solution
Thermal monitoring tech is simply a feature onboard the CPU die itself to maintain optimal running temperatures. It regulates the voltage and core clocks, etc. Your CPU doesn't appear to have this feature though so your CPU temp is based upon your cooling and voltage setup. If it runs too hot it will definitely thermal throttle though, so just keep note of your CPU's max temp and its current temp during intensive tasks. You can use apps like HwInfo to do so.

Wouwou

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Solved it, For people out there Who has the same problem It doesn't throttle until much higher like 95-100c for this gen of CPUs according to this thread, So be careful Of your CPU with a lower rated cooler, like me lol, and a temp above the tcase of a CPU wouldn't be a problem for the CPU but it will reduce it's life span by I don't know how much. anyways Thank you very much and stay safe

Thermal monitoring tech is simply a feature onboard the CPU die itself to maintain optimal running temperatures. It regulates the voltage and core clocks, etc. Your CPU doesn't appear to have this feature though so your CPU temp is based upon your cooling and voltage setup. If it runs too hot it will definitely thermal throttle though, so just keep note of your CPU's max temp and its current temp during intensive tasks. You can use apps like HwInfo to do so.

Solution

Wouwou

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
I see, but why would they not add it to this CPU it could save hundreds of people from getting a burnt CPU thanks anyways, will also double check anything I buy from the internet from now on

I see, but why would they not add it to this CPU it could save hundreds of people from getting a burnt CPU thanks anyways, will also double check anything I buy from the internet from now on

Because adding features to a CPU costs extra, thus only the more premium chips have them.
Thermal throttling is the CPU's way of preventing it from burning up if anything, and If a CPU were to get too hot it would shut down on its own before any real damage were to happen. A good sign that your CPU is doing what it should, but a bad sign that your cooling setup needs work.

Reactions: Wouwou
@Wouwou
The Intel website has a few errors. Run HWiNFO or the Core Temp program and see if your CPU reports any core temperature data. All retail Intel CPUs from this era use on die thermal sensors to control thermal throttling.

The TCase temperature is not used at all for CPU throttling control. TCase temperatures are only intended to be used by system builders. You cannot read TCase data from any CPU using software. You can only measure TCase by cutting into the CPU with a Dremel tool and mounting a thermal sensor at the geometric center of the butchered CPU. This is not what Intel wants or expects their retail customers to be doing. That is why multiple core temperature sensors are included and used to control thermal throttling.

CPU World reports that your Xeon CPU has these thermal features.
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon X3450 - BV80605001911AQ (BX80605X3450).html

6rl7o24.png

The BIOS is supposed to enable TM1 and TM2 automatically. Make sure you are running the latest BIOS version if you have a problem.

Wouwou

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
@Wouwou
6rl7o24.png

The BIOS is supposed to enable TM1 and TM2 automatically. Make sure you are running the latest BIOS version if you have a problem.

Ok I have them on surprisingly from this old cpu, So does that mean that It does throttle I just don't realize it throttled already?
I'll stress my cpu to throttle it if it works, Ill be back
uPNh0g.png

(First time using imageshack)

surprisingly
It is not that surprising. All Intel Core i CPUs produced since the 1st Gen were released in November 2008 have thermal sensors located on the hottest spots on the core. The previous Core 2 Duo and Core Duo CPUs also used these same sensors on the cores.

If TM1 and TM2 are enabled, which your screenshot shows, your CPU will thermal throttle when any core reaches a peak core temperature of 100°C. This temperature has nothing to do with the TCase temperature spec that Intel documents for these CPUs. Do not make any comparisons between the TCase spec and the peak core temperature. TCase and core temperatures are measured at two different spots. Trying to compare these two temperatures would be like trying to compare the outdoor temperature under the bright sun vs the temperature in the shade.

Thermal throttling is only triggered by the peak core temperature.