[SOLVED] What does this EZ debug blinking mean ?

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
My pc is stuck in a reboot loop - it turns on and after some time it turns off and then turns on and thats it....my screen doesnt even light up and no bios screen. Now 2 LED's are lighting up - the ram one and the cpu one (it starts from the ram and then keeps switching between the two untill it stops on the ram light and then the pc turns off) now my point is : I know my ram is dead/damaged I went to order a new one . I tried taking out the ram sticks and turning on the pc and the led blinking is the same....but please tell me the CPU is all right :/...

Solution
But the cpu LED did light up .... 'With' Ram or without it. My question was if its damaged or not (in the case of ram being in the case and both lights switching between themselves )
I think all lights blink once even if the component is working, that is the duration in which that particular component is being checked for malfunctions. Basically, EZ debug reports to you what is happening during POST checks, wherein all components are checked one by one to be functioning correctly. When the CPU is being tested, the CPU light will be on, and if it is not functioning, the checks will stop there and the debug LED will stay on for the CPU. If the CPU is fine, it moves to RAM, so then the CPU light switches off and the RAM light turns...
You cannot trust the EZ debug feature when there is no RAM installed, perhaps the error is now that there is no RAM installed, while earlier it was that it is faulty. No way to know whether the CPU is faulty or not until you have functional RAM.

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
You cannot trust the EZ debug feature when there is no RAM installed, perhaps the error is now that there is no RAM installed, while earlier it was that it is faulty. No way to know whether the CPU is faulty or not until you have functional RAM.
Yeah but why is the cpu led working ? Because the cpu needs the memory to work in order for the mobo to recognise both ?

Like I said, with a core component missing, there's no way to tell why this is happening - the CPU doesn't need RAM to declare that it is working fine, which is probably why the CPU LED doesn't light up. The CPU works in conjunction with the RAM , but that doesn't mean without the RAM, the CPU will not be able to do anything at all - POST checks are fairly low-level operations and the CPU can perform them without RAM as well.

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
Like I said, with a core component missing, there's no way to tell why this is happening - the CPU doesn't need RAM to declare that it is working fine, which is probably why the CPU LED doesn't light up. The CPU works in conjunction with the RAM , but that doesn't mean without the RAM, the CPU will not be able to do anything at all - POST checks are fairly low-level operations and the CPU can perform them without RAM as well.
But the cpu LED did light up .... 'With' Ram or without it. My question was if its damaged or not (in the case of ram being in the case and both lights switching between themselves )

I think all lights blink once even if the component is working, that is the duration in which that particular component is being checked for malfunctions. Basically, EZ debug reports to you what is happening during POST checks, wherein all components are checked one by one to be functioning correctly. When the CPU is being tested, the CPU light will be on, and if it is not functioning, the checks will stop there and the debug LED will stay on for the CPU. If the CPU is fine, it moves to RAM, so then the CPU light switches off and the RAM light turns on, and if there is any error in RAM the light stays on, otherwise it turns off. In your case as well, the checks for the CPU are completed, but the RAM is faulty so the RAM light stays on, while the CPU light turns off once its checks are complete.

Reactions: maxim45001
Solution

maxim45001

Honorable
Oct 20, 2018
I think all lights blink once even if the component is working, that is the duration in which that particular component is being checked for malfunctions. Basically, EZ debug reports to you what is happening during POST checks, wherein all components are checked one by one to be functioning correctly. When the CPU is being tested, the CPU light will be on, and if it is not functioning, the checks will stop there and the debug LED will stay on for the CPU. If the CPU is fine, it moves to RAM, so then the CPU light switches off and the RAM light turns on, and if there is any error in RAM the light stays on, otherwise it turns off. In your case as well, the checks for the CPU are completed, but the RAM is faulty so the RAM light stays on, while the CPU light turns off once its checks are complete.
Thank you so much..I was afraid my CPU got damaged as well...it was just strange to me how the led keept switching between the two but yeah it stays only on the DRAM