Question What does this mean in the motherboard memory specs: 5600(JEDEC) ?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I'm upgrading my system around the 13700k. I would like to pair the MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR5 LGA 1700 Intel Z690 SATA 6Gb/s ATX (seems to be a pretty good value for the price I can get it) with the CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5600 (PC5 44800) Desktop Memory Model CMK32GX5M2B5600C36.

The specs for the MSI motherboard say the following about the memory: 6400+(OC) , 6200(OC) , 6000(OC) , 5800(OC) , 5600(JEDEC) , 5400(JEDEC) , 5200(JEDEC) , 5000(JEDEC) , 4800(JEDEC) MHz

What does 5600(JEDEC) mean? Does it mean it is standard spec for this processor and not overclocked?

Will this DDR5 Ram kit pair good with the motherboard I picked?

Thanks for your imput....

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Jedec is a standards body and what they do is basically validate certain standards for ram. So when you get 5600MHz ram, there will be a ram table for it, and it'll have certain timings, voltages etc. That allows any pc that can use that ram to have bios values listed.

Jedec only goes up to the speeds of the memory controller, so with 13th gen cpus, that's 5600 tops. Anything above that will have to use XMP or its equivalents, which is considered an overclock, (OC).

5600 will pair just fine with that mobo and cpu, everything uses stock speeds. 6000 is currently the 'sweet spot' in terms of value for speed vs $$, but Intels don't use ram the way Ryzen does, so the difference between 5600 and 6000 is negligible, especially if the ram has decent timings. Unless, of course, you have need of faster ram due to the programs used, but that's rare and specialized for the most part, very few games are ram speed performance increase.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Jedec is a standards body and what they do is basically validate certain standards for ram. So when you get 5600MHz ram, there will be a ram table for it, and it'll have certain timings, voltages etc. That allows any pc that can use that ram to have bios values listed.

Jedec only goes up to the speeds of the memory controller, so with 13th gen cpus, that's 5600 tops. Anything above that will have to use XMP or its equivalents, which is considered an overclock, (OC).

5600 will pair just fine with that mobo and cpu, everything uses stock speeds. 6000 is currently the 'sweet spot' in terms of value for speed vs $$, but Intels don't use ram the way Ryzen does, so the difference between 5600 and 6000 is negligible, especially if the ram has decent timings. Unless, of course, you have need of faster ram due to the programs used, but that's rare and specialized for the most part, very few games are ram speed performance increase.

What is a decent timing? In the case of this RAM I mentioned above it is 36-36-36-76 (Tested Latency ).

Sarscarix041

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
In parentheses…

Some trivia for you: [I believe that] if you double the amount of RAM, the timing numbers (roughly) double, which means it is half as fast. The corollary is that you can have twice the speed if you settle for half the RAM.

As per karadjgne’s comment, all those billions of transistors in the CPU, and the years of development behind them, focus heavily on pre-fetching data from RAM, and the result is that (this is very effective and) the immediate speed of the RAM makes very little difference.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
In parentheses…

Some trivia for you: [I believe that] if you double the amount of RAM, the timing numbers (roughly) double, which means it is half as fast. The corollary is that you can have twice the speed if you settle for half the RAM.

As per karadjgne’s comment, all those billions of transistors in the CPU, and the years of development behind them, focus heavily on pre-fetching data from RAM, and the result is that (this is very effective and) the immediate speed of the RAM makes very little difference.

But I need the 32 GB......