what does this mean??

G

I was just looking at a price list for an AMD T-Bird and on the list it came up with:
AMD Thunderbird 800 (200 MHz socket A)
And i was just wondering what the 200MHz part meant. Would I be correct in thinking that the motherboard runs at 200 MHz as apposed to the normal 133 or 100MHz? And if this is so, could u tell me what motherboards support this and how to set them up to do this.
Many Thanks

G

The reason that the T-Birds are 200mhz is cos they are DDR(100mhz X 2), the MB's to support this are only just here and the current range seperate the Mem Speed from the CPU(Sort of) speed, have a surf in the archives on this site and Tom explains how it all works cos I am crap at explaining . But if all you want to know is can I use my PC100 or PC133 Memory the answer is yes as long as you don't buy a DDR MB.

M

G

Athlon uses the EV6 bus which has been borrowed from SUN. This means that the 200 Mhz you see is the normal 100 Mhz memory 'Double Pumped' to make 200. You can still use PC-133 and PC-100 SD-RAM in these boards, in fact you have to use them. The newer 760 chipset from AMD uses the DDR-SDRAM that can move at 200 and 266Mhz itself. This is done by sending data twice per clock cycle(Double Data Rate) instead of once per clock(Single Data Rate). Unfortunately 760 does not have a 400 Mhz Fsb (200 DDR double Pumped). It can get complicated, so read reviews from actual people who know what their talking about.

mpjesse

Splendid
Woah Woah Woah... The EV6 bus was not borrowed from Sun, it was licensed from Alpha (which Compaq now owns). Just had to clear that up. Sun hasn't even looked at AMD up until the past couple weeks. Sun is <considering> using the Sledgehammer in some of their Solaris's.

-MP Jesse