[SOLVED] What does this mean?

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
What does it mean when looking at what RAM a mobo supports:

DDR4 4600(O.C)/ 4500(O.C)/ 4400(O.C)/ 4266(O.C.)/ 4133(O.C.)/ 4000(O.C.)/ 3866(O.C.)/ 3733(O.C.)/ 3600(O.C.)/ 3466(O.C.)/ 3400(O.C.)/ 3333(O.C.)/ 3200(O.C.)/ 3000(O.C.)/ 2933(O.C.)/ 2800(O.C.)/ 2666/ 2400/ 2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
* 10th Gen Intel Core i9/i7 CPUs support 2933/ 2800/ 2666/ 2400/ 2133 natively, Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

What RAM should I buy?

Solution
RAM kits are rated at a transfer rate. The list of of numbers reflects the memory data speed of the RAM kits the motherboard should work with.

The numbers that end in (O.C.) are telling you it is an 'overclocked' setting, or a setting that's off-specification for the CPU and/or DDR standards. That means it may not actually do it or you may have to tweak with various settings to make be stable.

For best success, buy DDR4 RAM kits listed on the Memory QVL, with the highest rated data transfer rate you can afford. The ones with (O.C.) probably will work, but with steadily decreasing probability for easy success the higher you go. The least likely-hood for any drama would be to completely avoid the ones with (O.C.), but if you do get...
RAM kits are rated at a transfer rate. The list of of numbers reflects the memory data speed of the RAM kits the motherboard should work with.

The numbers that end in (O.C.) are telling you it is an 'overclocked' setting, or a setting that's off-specification for the CPU and/or DDR standards. That means it may not actually do it or you may have to tweak with various settings to make be stable.

For best success, buy DDR4 RAM kits listed on the Memory QVL, with the highest rated data transfer rate you can afford. The ones with (O.C.) probably will work, but with steadily decreasing probability for easy success the higher you go. The least likely-hood for any drama would be to completely avoid the ones with (O.C.), but if you do get one of the (O.C.) kits you can always run it at a lower speed if you need to make it stable.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
Solution